Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-31-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: no ADC for PTLE?????

Hey...

why do we all complain ??
We are no longer patching hardware to console patchbays, or mult analog tape returns...
Have to work with these " glorified " calculators
Live with it, adjust your work habbits...it'll only improve

happy tooling,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 03-31-2004, 07:54 PM

Hi again,

bussing comp? If you're talking about busses, yes, at least in Cubase SX 2 all busses, inserts, sends, MIDI tracks, virtual instruments, etc. are automatically compensated.

no alignment to timecode? the TC is completely coherent here.

Cubase SX 2 as Pro Tools LE doesn't support outboard gear in inserts for mixing and sincerely, I care less. In this market field we're playing (remember, this is the LE forum), outboard gear (I mean plenty of it, for mixing down like in a big studio) is not the common I guess. If I would like to use a nice tube compressor or eq (1 or 2 channels) then I'd pass the audio thru them and back to the DAW to process (so I could use it in more than a pair of tracks).

Obviously that delay compensation in VST depends on the developers of the plugins to report correctly their inherent latency. The same happens in any platform I guess. Up to date everything is going fine. No problematic plugin.

The thing is that all this plugin compensation is automatic and painless. No math, no auxiliary, annoying plugin. Just work as usual. Pro Tools LE needs this feature as practically any other DAW app in PC has today.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Guess what? Those apps all have PIDC ONLY
No bussing comp, no alignment to timecode, and a delay comp that is 100% dependant upon the developers of all those formats to code the plugs correctly and accurately to provide that comp.
Add some outboard (you know, those funny metal things, some have tubes, some don't, and they used to be in these neat things called 'racks") and what happens. OH! Gee! Delay comp with that = SOL.

hold on! back the truck up. pdc might not be 100% adc, but its a long stretch from what we got now. to discount that is a little foolish, don't you think?

i think its great that cubase has it. i love it. i mix drums in cubase just because of that. now lets see the tools of the pros get on board with that idea. makes sense to move forward, right? i mean, calculators went out with the advent of excel. thanks to advances in PT FINALLY (ie - delay II) i don't need excel to calculate my delays.

this pdc/adc is just another missing feature...
Old 03-31-2004, 08:50 PM

My only comment on this is, there is more than enough to seperate LE from TDM/HD.
Something like this should be across the board, I mean really. I don't think this would take away at all from any top end sales.

Just like the catalog difference in Digibase, again this is something that should have been across the board and what at 5.1.

Just some thoughts.

FatBelly Slim

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:07 PM

Most plugs in LE already have a form of delay compensation if you want to think of it that way; I e-mailed digi about the DLA indicator in LE and how the manual reads like it shouldn't even exist in LE and how it reads 0 delay for most plugs...and guess what...0 means 0. The only plugs that incur delay are those that utilize a read-ahead algorithm, like limiters, and compressors that try to mimic the hysterisis effect of tape (waves ren comp), and the values that those indicate are accurate. It turns out that we've had better delay compensation in LE than in TDM for quite some time already (TDM plugs always have at least a sample of delay, usually more). Quit griping and start making music for goodness' sake.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:01 AM

i can see that people who does not record multimiked acoustic sources couldnt care less for ADC or PIDC, but for us that do, the phase issues you get without compensating for the plug in delay is a nightmare, Having to constantly compensate for every plug you put on a track is a real vibe killer, the only way i've found to work ok is to insert the same plug on related tracks in bypass mode to keep the plugin delay the same across the tracks but that takes often alot of computer resources. Basically all the plugs i use (mostly waves) introduces latency. Even if its just as small as a couple of sample its enough to affect the phase relationships of mulitmiked tracks.

I've tried this in Samplitude and it works, no need to compensate for the delay. Even if its just PIDC its enough!

/mike
Old 04-01-2004, 02:02 AM

You cannot say that the latency induced by plugs and busses is that bad that you can't record or mix. Just wait until you have selected all your plugs and done any bussing. Then calculate the delays by clicking on the volume display. Now nudge back the tracks of multi-miked sources by the displayed amount of samples. Unless you have insane plug-ins and bussing the single sources will not show. I would not trade Por Tools for Cubase on this issue, although I do run Cubase in the back ground for MIDI. This is what it really is - a MIDI sequencer.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:38 AM

well its almost that bad, indeed there are workarounds but i dont want to have to worry about every plugins latency i put on a track when mixing, i have other things to vorry about,,,like THE MIX.

A typical session for me would be like 12tracks of drums with room mikes and all, and i use 2busses of mults for compression effects. Keeping all the tracks phase relationships which i usually have spent a long time on settin up the microphones is nightmare.

Nudgin is a PITA, lets say you try a eq plugin on one of the drumtracks, the latency from the plugin brings that track slightly out of phase with the rest of the drumtracks, then i nudge the track back the amount of samples its delayed and its back in phase and i can start make eq ajdustments, what if now i didnt think that eqplug was right for the job and i want to try another one, then i need to either move back the track to its orignal position and nudge back to tbe new plugins delay value, or move it by the differce in delay between the previous plugin and the new.... this takes way to much time and brain power keeping track of how much every tracks been nudged.
Thats why i put plugs in bypassmode on related tracks. For example, if i put a compressor plug on the snare i put the same plug on all other drumtracks in bypass mode to delay them the same amout keeping phase integerity, the downside to this is it takes alot of processing power

I like ProTools LE, and i would like to keep on using it, PTLE is crippled enough so WHY no ADC?

sorry for the rant...im just so dissapointed in Digi right now.

/mike

Old 04-01-2004, 06:38 AM

This has to be a mistake! There is no justifiable reason to keep this code out of PTLE.

Is Digi going to confirm or deny these rumors? Are they rumors are have they been substantiated in some way?

I think it may be time to start one of those annoying "place your vote for ADC in PTLE" threads.

38, 39 what ever it takes.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 AM

Quote:
This has to be a mistake! There is no justifiable reason to keep this code out of PTLE.

Is Digi going to confirm or deny these rumors? Are they rumors are have they been substantiated in some way?

I think it may be time to start one of those annoying "place your vote for ADC in PTLE" threads.

The problem was started with the info about the ICON where it stated that PT 6.4 would be released with the ICON and that most of the changes were HD only with support for MIX systems to follow.
Thus no mention of LE so that's where it came from.