Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Recording Device for Sound Effects/Dialogue....

Does anyone know of any good but affordable recording device for recording sound effects, dialogue and the such. I can't seem to find anything and would appreciate any advice. I'm looking for something portable and digital if possible, so I can transfer all of my recordings into PT on my Mac. I know of the Nagras used by proffesionals for film, tv production, but I'm an amaetur just starting out so if anyone knows of anything please feel free to spread the love.

Thank you!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Recording Device for Sound Effects/Dialogue....

Quote:
I'm looking for something portable and digital if possible, so I can transfer all of my recordings into PT on my Mac.
Look at this ...

http://www.marantzpro.com/Products/PMD670.html

I use this and it works GREAT !!!

Just pop out the Compact Flash Card or Microdrive and right in you Mac ready to edit.

VERY COOL UNIT !!

Hope this helps

Thanks

Executive Producer
Host - Broadcast Radio
The Inside Mac Show
http://www.insidemacradio.com
Old 05-10-2004, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the recommendation Scott!

Is the Flash Card Rewritable/Erasable or do you have to buy new ones once it is full? Also, what type of projects are you working on with this machine? (just curious)

Anyone else have any input...
Does anyone have any recommendations for microphones which would be best suited for recording effects/dialogue?

Thanks Again

Old 05-11-2004, 12:40 AM

Ya......... do what the pros do. Use a portable DAT recorder. I had one strapped to my neck for two weeks straight as we shot our scenes. I used it for on location (production) dialogue as we all all the samples sound effects. Then the ADR was just done at home. Dump all the sound effects to PT's and then let the editing begin.

It's all about the DAT.............. now being replaced by portable Hard Disk recorders, which is pretty much the same thing only a lot more friendly.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:15 AM

Hey Scott, we're using these for radio interviews too. The transfer rate from the machine via USB isn't too great, though: less than 3 times real time for a flashcard inside the machine. I wonder whether a card reader works faster, or if a microdrive is quicker still. What are you using?
Old 05-14-2004, 11:55 PM

Are DAT's rewritable?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:26 AM

Kipsey,

I've been doing sound design on short films for the past three years. I don't have a very large
budget, so for collecting sound I use a minidisc recorder and a sony MD stereo condensor mic. I was amazed as the quality achievable using this system, I had been a total sceptic in regards to Minidisc quality!
So that's what I'd advise, the mic (which you'll find thru sony's website, the code escapes me) has a switchable polar-pattern, either 90 degrees or 180.
have fun, check out online articles by Walter Murch for inspiration, I wrote a Masters thesis on the man's sound design work, he's a true artist.
http://www.filmsound.org/murch/murch.htm

also, one of the best articles on sound mixing for film: http://www.ps1.org/cut/volume/murch.html