Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 PM

Default Neve 511 and PT 12

I recently bought a neve 511 preamp, and can't resolve one issue even though I feel like I've tried everything. For some reason, it seems like it is outputting nothing into pro tools. What I do end up getting is much lower in volume than what it should be, and is only the high end of the signal. The 511 displays a healthy level.

I have tested this with mics requiring phantom power and ones that don't, I have tested the entire line with other modules in my lunchbox and everything works fine. I have tried plugging it into different slots. I exchanged the module for a new one, and have the same issue. I even sold my original lunchbox (API 500-8b) and bought the Neve R6, and still the problem is there.

My best guess is that it's a power issue, but I can't figure out where. The R6 displays that it is drawing 200mA of current, which is above what the 511 should need. I have the R6 plugged into a Furman m-8 power conditioner, and have tried running the line to different power sources.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-19-2018, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Neve 511 and PT 12

How are we supposed to guess what you are doing? Much more detail needed.

What are you trying to do at a high level? Record vocals? Guitar cab? ...

What interface is the 511 connected to? What exact input are you using in that interface and cable to connect the two. (confirm with a multimeter it is correct wired as a balanced cable).

Start describing from the exact Mic make/models, what mic cable is connected to what exact inputs? What is the preamp gains and other switches set to. What level do you see on the 511 meters? what dBFS levels are you seeing on the Pro Tools meters (pre-fader, classic meters) corresponding to that LED meters in the 511.

I would always confirm that phantom power is working with a multimeter with any preamp having issues.

You have a whole audio workstation in front of you. If suspecting a preamp you can do things like use the signal gen white or pink noise generator and measure a transfer function (i.e. gain vs frequency plot) of that with a frequency analyzer plugin. And then drive a similar signal into the interface input to conform that is not the problem. And you can use a sine wave to look for obvious gross harmonic distortion failures. Even driving the input of the preamp with a sine wave and measuring the output with a multimeter and conform the gain lines up with the gain knob settings can be useful.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-19-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:40 PM

I am running from my R6 chassis to a switcher which is connected to an Apollo twin, which I am running line in. Any source I try to record has the issue. As I said, though, with this same exact line I have no issues with my other preamps in the R6. I also have an SSL VHD which works great. If I switch the 511 into any other slot it’s the same issue, regardless of the mic, cable, channel on my interface, etc.

I think I am losing my mind over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
How are we supposed to guess what you are doing? Much more detail needed.

What are you trying to do at a high level? Record vocals? Guitar cab? ...

What interface is the 511 connected to? What exact input are you using in that interface and cable to connect the two. (confirm with a multimeter it is correct wired as a balanced cable).

Start describing from the exact Mic make/models, what mic cable is connected to what exact inputs? What is the preamp gains and other switches set to.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 PM

Oh come on. "nothing works" is not going to solve a problem. Start with one simple thing and work though what *is* working up until it's not. Get switchers or any other crap out the way, maybe pop other modules out of the chassis. etc. and do simple tests to work out what is working.

Is the mic getting phantom power (confirm with a multimeter), is signal from the mic getting to the preamp (showing on the LED meters). Is the level reasonable for what that mic type and sound input... if it is then maybe the preamp is OK. Leave SILK off since it's post meter test gain with a sine wave signal gen and measure that voltage on output (all that is doing is verifying the LED meter is not lying/there is no failure after the LED meter stage to rack output)... stuff I've already suggested. And should take not much longer to do than the time to find or make any cables needed.

But by now you should be suspecting the preamp... so just don't waste much time before you just measure how it's performing or not. Starting with that transfer function. And before you inset the preamp in that loop, make sure you can measure the flat transfer function of a piece of cable.

And check the most stupid things, knobs/switches loose or broken on the 511 front panel, things rattling around inside, connector fingers not seating properly in the backplane, etc.