Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Beat Detective for LE?

Why not? Is it such an intensive program that it simply couldn't run on a native based system? I wonder if they could adapt the program to work independently from ProTools, by turning off all other options and processing. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, especially with the dual-processor machines.

What do you think?
Old 05-28-2004, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective for LE?

Obscene post deleted.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:33 PM

Its not about whether LE can handle it or not like bhenn said its about money. There are plenty of easy work arounds that compensate for beat detective. But its an incentive to buy TDM among other things. Plus if they did decide to incorparate it into LE, you can bet on a pretty big price tag.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Why not?
i would also like to have it in LE systems - in my point of view the difference between LE and TDM systems goes in 16 audio channels (i tend to think about the spdif i/o dedicated to an externa, reverb) that is the max in LE systems but not in TDM systems.

i actually need more than 16 simultaneous audio input tracks but cannot afford it for now, and would be pleased if i had the same software abilities the TDM users have. since i need more inputs than i can afford, i will upgrade to a TDM system when it is financially feasible, but i will not do it for the software difference's sake but SIMPLY BECAUSE GETTING MORE INPUTS. (are you listening, digi?)

i would like digidesign to make a standard, not to follow what the competitors are doing... let the protools (and included plugins) be such a great package that all competitors will have to put in a siginificant effort to even match what we have as a protools users. currently there are a lot of things that the competitors have made better than protools (LE) users have.

bottom line: protools LE should be better than the competition, leaving the TDM users in their own league. currently, the LE users are left behind, leaving protools TDM users fight with the competition. that's not right, is it?
Old 05-29-2004, 01:19 PM

What are the easy workarounds?
Old 05-29-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
ableton live digidesign edition
Old 05-29-2004, 01:58 PM

I haven't loaded it up yet, but does Live do this same procedure rather easy? I guess you then imprt it all back in to the session? I wonder how good the sync is with Pro Tools. Unless, can it work through rewire?? I really haven't checked it out yet, so I don't know.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Please elaborate!, I've found Live Digi Edition to be a little bit Mickey Mouse and when adjusting tempo, it sounds horrible. Drums could sound ok to a point but how do you fix tempo fluctuations in Ableton?

Thanks in advance.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 05-29-2004, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Please elaborate!, I've found Live Digi Edition to be a little bit Mickey Mouse and when adjusting tempo, it sounds horrible. Drums could sound ok to a point but how do you fix tempo fluctuations in Ableton?

Thanks in advance.

Shouldn't be, all you need to do is have the one part you have thats in time, have that playing first, then add the drums right after it, it should automatically time stretch without changing the sound.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:09 AM

Apple Soundtrack or Garageband are really easy to use for moving loops around. A lot easier than Live, but I just didn't take the time to learn Live. I just dragged a loop into Soundtrack and it worked...

Beat Detective has always been a bit temperemental for me. I usually end up cutting stuff up and doing it manually because I can do that faster than messing with Beat Detective. I suppose that it is ignorance on my part, and that if you were really good at using Beat Detective it would be a lot faster, but hey, I'm getting paid by the hour.

And there are a few other differences between Host Based LE and TDM - the direct monitoring is a pretty big one. You've got the low-latency mode, but you cannot bus from a track or insert a plugin on a record armed track, and when in record w/ lo-latency, verb on auxes is disabled - when I cut tracks on a 001, I have to do a workaround so the singer can have verb. On top of that, the plugin architecture of TDM allows me to have A LOT of plugs going on... 3 or 4 big effects, 24 dynamics and EQ channels, some 2 mix compression, all at once.