Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 AM

Default Basic Midi routing in protools Please:(

I have protools8hd2 and have used it for recording only in a comercial studio. As the slowdown hit I started to use Midi to make music and I am lost trying to assign tracks to midi plugins and routing from the keyboard to the given plug in etc. [I] can get multi tracks going but [I] can not tell u how???!!?? is there a basic midi in protools for dummie PDF or download...Help and thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Basic Midi routing in protools Please:(

Try an Instrument track. These are track types that combine MIDI and AUX tracks together if you will and assign the MIDI Node (Virtual Instrument) after instantiation to the MIDI Output selector by default. This makes this option an easier choice under some circumstances.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Yes I have been using the ins. track and my issue is . midi from keyboard controller via USB adp.to protools setup as KB88 in midi setup. now how do I assign this to say ins. track 1 with addictive drums as plug in then out of plug in to channel so each time i playback it replays////then ist ch 2 is the grand I need to reassign the KB88 to the plug in GRANd on track 2 and see and record the midi and play back with out changes//then add ins track 3 now I need the KB88 to route to the plugin stringhs on track 3 with a print of midi on tr 3 and playback of themidi via the original plugin on thsat track...on and on AM I doing this screwy ? i can not find how to asssigbn tracks for midi and route from the tracked midi to the plugin some times it works some time not. OOOOOOHHHHH boy waht a cluster of fun. please help with spisific directions as to what does what .I unserstand tech verry well just this is not looking logical Thanks again
Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 PM

Zones, does your MIDI Controller support Zones? Zones support assigning MIDI Channels to different groups of keys on the MIDI Controller.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingonempty View Post
Yes I have been using the ins. track and my issue is . midi from keyboard controller via USB adp.to protools setup as KB88 in midi setup. now how do I assign this to say ins. track 1 with addictive drums as plug in then out of plug in to channel so each time i playback it replays////then ist ch 2 is the grand I need to reassign the KB88 to the plug in GRANd on track 2 and see and record the midi and play back with out changes//then add ins track 3 now I need the KB88 to route to the plugin stringhs on track 3 with a print of midi on tr 3 and playback of themidi via the original plugin on thsat track...on and on AM I doing this screwy ? i can not find how to asssigbn tracks for midi and route from the tracked midi to the plugin some times it works some time not. OOOOOOHHHHH boy waht a cluster of fun. please help with spisific directions as to what does what .I unserstand tech verry well just this is not looking logical Thanks again
If I'm understanding you correctly, you are using the KB88 as your MIDI controller to play various instrument parts. Assuming you have PT recognizing the KB88 as your main MIDI controller (and it sounds like you do), then you have a couple of ways to do what you are trying to do.

So, you set up an instrument track, instantiate addictive drums, and then use the keys on the KB to trigger the drums you want...that's what it sounds like you want to do. SO far so good. Just record what you play on the instrument track as MIDI input. Once you've got the drums recorded as you want them, then you won't need the KB to trigger the drums, as the MIDI notes you recorded on the instrument track will do that.

Now, as the drum track plays back, select your next instrument track with whatever sound you plan to use, bass say, and record arm that track, and again, use the KB to trigger the notes you want. When you're happy, the midi notes will all be sitting nicely, ready to play, on the instrument track. Play back both tracks together and the MIDI notes will trigger the drums on the drum track and the bass on the bass track. Don't like the way the bass sounds...no problem, go to the VI you instantiated on the track and select a different sound while its playing. Or tweak on the fly.

Rinse and repeat for as many instrument tracks as your computer memory can handle. If you start running out of room, just record the parts over to audio tracks and delete the instrument tracks (but give the edited version of the session a new name to preserve your prior renditions.)

I think you're trying to record onto a MIDI track, and then have the MIDI track play the the instrument track. Well, you COULD do it that way, but the instrument track already records the MIDI input as MIDI, so record directly to the instrument track to play the VI you want.

Hope all that makes sense.

Donald M

Old 09-12-2011, 05:56 AM

Unhappy Re: Basic Midi routing in protools Please:(

I have a midi assign problem. I've loaded EZ Player on a mono instrument track, loaded Superior Drummer on a stereo instrument track. EZ player won't make any sound because I can't assign a midi channel. I've selected the midi on the mixer screen, I can see a midi cable icon, but when I right click nothing happens. Any help would be great.
Gerwyn
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager View Post
I have a midi assign problem. I've loaded EZ Player on a mono instrument track, loaded Superior Drummer on a stereo instrument track. EZ player won't make any sound because I can't assign a midi channel. I've selected the midi on the mixer screen, I can see a midi cable icon, but when I right click nothing happens. Any help would be great.
Gerwyn
Make sure your Edit and/or Mix windows have 'Instruments' showing (View>Mix Window Views or Edit Window Views) so you can select your MIDI input for that track.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 AM

I have the instruments showing in the mix and edit window, but as I stated I can't assign the midi channel from EZ Player to Superior Drummer 2. Maybe a fresh Pro Tools install is required.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager View Post
I have the instruments showing in the mix and edit window, but as I stated I can't assign the midi channel from EZ Player to Superior Drummer 2. Maybe a fresh Pro Tools install is required.
Hang on a minute. Are you trying to select EZ Player as an input?

If so - that's the problem. Inputs can only be from MIDI Input Devices (listed under that option in the MIDI menu).
Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Basic Midi routing in protools Please

I sorted out my problem, it turns out I don't need EZ Player after all. I can audition the drum patterns within Superior Drummer itself, I must be blind. Thanks anyway.