Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 AM

Default Best possible hard drive configuration

Hi All,

I've been skimming the forum, but didn't really find what I am looking for :

I want to know which would be the best possible hard drive setup for use with PT9 (and Digi003) (regardless of 'cost' for an extra drive). Let's forget RAID drives for now, don't like 'm, too many issues, and not sure if it even works with PT.

At this moment, I have a Mac Pro with 4-core Xeon, 1 terra system drive (OS X 10.6.4, and installed yesterday a second 1 Terra-byte to use as an audio drive (I did find this recommendation on the forum and manual)

I asume it's best to use internal SATA drives over external Firewire 800 drives, it's obvious that SATA drives are much faster than the 800Mbit firewire. I keep my Firewire 800 drive for backups.

I also understood that I need to put PT9 on my system drive, and record audio to my 2nd drive, which I did.

but now the following questions :

* where do I put my sample library?

* where do I put my Kontakt library?

* would it be a better idea to split the audio drive in 2 partitions, one for audio tracks, and one for the samples?

* would it be even better to buy a 3rd drive to put my Kontakt libs, sample libs and loops on? Just bought a new 1 terra drive for 120 euro's, so that's not the cost (official MAC dealer, guess you can find cheaper ones)

* to defragment the audio drive, I read that the only way is to 'clean' (is this 'formatting') the audio drive from time to time (once a year for example) (on windows there is a defrag util included)? In this case, I would prefer to keep my sample libs on a 2nd partition on my audio drive, or even a 3rd drive (there are 4 bays for something in the Mac Pro

thanks for any advice!

R.