Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-19-2010, 01:25 AM

Default some noob questions.

hi I am basically a noob when it comes to logical thinking and are currently trying to build my own little home studio thing. I have a mbox 2 wich workd very well but i want more inputs, so i think i will buy a Behringer xenyx something, and i was wondering.

How do i connect the mixer to the mbox? / what cables do i need? where to put them?

and also

- say that i would want to eventually connect more stuff to my studio, say i want a octamic 2 for even more inputs, or a limiter or mic preamp connected. How do i connect these?

any help are welcome :) thaks alot!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 AM

Default Re: some noob questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateguitarfish View Post
hi I am basically a noob when it comes to logical thinking and are currently trying to build my own little home studio thing. I have a mbox 2 wich workd very well but i want more inputs, so i think i will buy a Behringer xenyx something, and i was wondering.

How do i connect the mixer to the mbox? / what cables do i need? where to put them?

and also

- say that i would want to eventually connect more stuff to my studio, say i want a octamic 2 for even more inputs, or a limiter or mic preamp connected. How do i connect these?

any help are welcome :) thaks alot!

Hi and welcome to the DUC...

First.. your Mbox only has the two inputs.. period (if memory serves). You can take the stereo out on the mixer into the two mbox inputs.

You will only be able to record two tracks at a time.. If you were to buy a mixer such as the xenyx, or even a 96 channel whatchamacallit.. you can still only record two tracks at a time through the mbox.

You can mic a lot of things through a mixer and send it to the two mbox channels and make like a stereo drum track or similar, but you will not have indvidual control over the drums, cymbals, etc..

What I would suggest is to wait a bit longer and see what Avid is going to release hardware-wise (if anything). If they do offer a 004 or similar, the price of 002's and 003's will come down a bit.. if they don't, look for a 003.. You can have a total of 18 inputs on the 003.. The 003rack+ has 8 mic pres built in and the 003 and 003 rack have 4 mic pres.. If the 003+ pres are suitable for your needs go that way, it's less expensive. However if you want better pre's get the 003 (not +) You can use the 4 pres on the 003 plus another 4 on the line inputs plus another 8 on ADAT plus another two on spidf (sp?).

Alternatively, build a setup around PT9 and that will open up a world of variations on hardware..

However, it will all cost money.. the more you want, the more it costs.

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Re: some noob questions.

I think you hit it on the head with "the more you want, the more it costs"

I have the MBox Mini which is fine for me. I am only one person and can only do one thing at a time, so anything more than that (in my mind) doesn't make any sense. Doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE to have a 003, but I can still only record one thing at a time......

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec