How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2016, 06:39 PM

Default HP Envy

Hi all,

I normally run PT 10 on my MacBook Pro, which works fine. I recently had to upgrade my everyday computer to an HP Envy laptop. It is a 17.3 screen, i7, 16 gb, and 2.5 ghz. IHere is the full info:

HP ENVY M7-N109DX NOTEBOOK
Model: m7-n109dx
SKU: 4632100

I thought this would be more than enough to run PT. I downloaded PT 11 today and did everything it said to install and run the program. I usually don't have any trouble downloading and installing PT. However, on this machine, PT won't even attempt to open. When I click it the computer just plays some musical notes and it doesn't do anything. It won't even flash open and close. Nothing. I have the iLok in place and I can't think of anything else to try.

It asked if I wanted to trouble shoot, and I said Yes. It went through several screens and one said "Incompatible Program." This may very well be true, but I thought I had read that PT would work fine on an HP Envy.

Is it just incompatible through and through, or is there anything else I can do?

Thanks.

JGP
Old 02-02-2016, 06:50 PM

Default Re: HP Envy

Run a Sandra report on it...this is anything BUT full info. There's not even a mention of what the OS is on this thing, which could be a show-stopper all by itself.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Windows 10.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:08 PM

See above. (BTW, AVID says stay away from Win 10 for now, although some people are running PT 12 on it without issues.) Sandra report, please.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:18 PM

OK, thanks. This may be a job for Reaper with a PT skin.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 PM

Try running 11 in compatibility mode/Win 7. Also make sure you always run as administrator.
Do you have a dedicated recording drive? Macs are much more forgiving recording to the system drive, especially if it's an SSD, but Windows machines just don't seem to work this way. Add to that the fact that most of these laptops ship with 5400 rpm system drives, which are terribly under-spec. That's why we need to see the Sandra report, so we know EXACTLY what your hardware configuration is.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:44 PM

Just looked it up on the HP site..."Tech specs" don't tell us much of ANYTHING. But I DID find this,

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04866083

and as I suspected, it's a major show-stopper:
Hard Drive
1TB 5400RPM hard drive
Passable (barely) for the SYSTEM drive, but it won't work for squat trying to run your sessions off of it. A good secondary 7200-rpm USB external is advisable, but only once you get the thing to actually launch the program to begin with. Again, you can designate to "run as administrator" every time, and try compatibility mode. BUT, don't count on getting much done with this configuration.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 PM

I thought it would be fun to have PT on this laptop, but I had no serious use in mind. It's not that big of a deal. I have PT on my MacBook Pro, and it's just as mobile as the HP laptop, so it wasn't necessary to have it here on my HP.

Thanks for all your time and help with this. Much appreciated.

JGP