Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-18-2021, 04:03 PM

Default Clipboard Manager for PT?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a clipboard manager that works with pro tools?

I do a lot of audiobook work, and when formatting these projects, I am always rotating between pasting several standard length pieces of room tone. (eg 0.5",1.5", 2.0", 2.5", 0.75" etc.)

If I could store all of these in a multi-tiered clipboard and paste them with custom key strokes, that would save me heaps of time and effort.

Thanks!

Pete Scherr
Old 02-18-2021, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Clipboard Manager for PT?

I don't think there is. But, you could name them as 001 0.5, 002 0.75, etc. They should then be top of the Clip List. Leave the Clip List open and just drag what you want to where you want - in Slip Mode.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-19-2021, 09:32 AM

Hey Bruce,

Thanks! Great minds think alike -nearly...

I've been working this way for many years, but at this phase of the work, I use shuffle mode exclusively. It might seem strange, but in the audio book world, it makes perfect sense...

In order to keep the pauses all visible in the bin, I add the suffix "pause" to each one. That saves a little time.

But the right clip manager would really be slick.

Pete
Old 02-20-2021, 08:15 AM

Don't forget that you can use muted audio tracks to hold clips(or Playlists, for that matter)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-20-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterScherr View Post
Hey Bruce,

Thanks! Great minds think alike -nearly...

I've been working this way for many years, but at this phase of the work, I use shuffle mode exclusively. It might seem strange, but in the audio book world, it makes perfect sense...

In order to keep the pauses all visible in the bin, I add the suffix "pause" to each one. That saves a little time.

But the right clip manager would really be slick.

Pete
Pete, I've recorded many audiobooks for notable publishers but never done the edit (though I edit lots of VO for other formats). Can you recommend any resources on workflow and technique?
Old 02-20-2021, 09:42 AM

I think the Clip List is as close as you can get to a multi-tiered clipboard as a normal clipboard only holds one object at a time.

You could have one length the longest you'll need, copy in and trim back to fit - tedious.

You could just have room tone under everything - not ideal.

I'll add two ways to use Playlists to albee's suggestion:

1) Put each length of room tone on a separate Playlist below each audio track. You can even color code them to represent each length. Now duplicate each as many times as you think you will need and use the new separate by "x" amount to space them down the timeline. Now you can just drag to the place you want whatever length you need.

2) If you already have the gap you need in place, put the room tone on an audio track under the edited audio track you want the room tone on, the same length as that audio track. Put the Grid in Clips & Markers. Highlight both tracks and use Separate at Grid. Put the now separated room tone audio on a Playlist under the audio track and promote the length you need to the main track with the Up Arrow or keyboard shortcut.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-20-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
Pete, I've recorded many audiobooks for notable publishers but never done the edit (though I edit lots of VO for other formats). Can you recommend any resources on workflow and technique?
Hi there,

I think specific workflows would be at least somewhat affected by a publisher's particular style sheet. I've honed my post workflow over many years for my company, and I'd be happy to share some info with you. DM me at my email addy, should be part of my profile.

Pete
Old 02-20-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
I think the Clip List is as close as you can get to a multi-tiered clipboard as a normal clipboard only holds one object at a time.

I'll add two ways to use Playlists to albee's suggestion:

1) Put each length of room tone on a separate Playlist below each audio track. You can even color code them to represent each length. Now duplicate each as many times as you think you will need and use the new separate by "x" amount to space them down the timeline. Now you can just drag to the place you want whatever length you need.

(I'm not familiar with this feature... I'll check it out. I'm kind of an old dog old tricks guy

2) If you already have the gap you need in place, put the room tone on an audio track under the edited audio track you want the room tone on, the same length as that audio track. Put the Grid in Clips & Markers. Highlight both tracks and use Separate at Grid. Put the now separated room tone audio on a Playlist under the audio track and promote the length you need to the main track with the Up Arrow or keyboard shortcut.
By the time that I get to the editing and formatting phase of a project, chapters are already separated at pause spots and correction splicce spots. The amount of existing tone in a chapter pre-edit is slightly different for each one, based on how the narrators read and punch in, so I'm not sure that this would work out. Anyway, maybe if I consider it for a while, I'll think of something. Many thanks for taking the time to write!

Last edited by PeterScherr; 02-20-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:55 PM

I accomplish this exact task with Keyboard Maestro. I create memory locations that are selections for each length of tone. Then I program a macro to copy the current timecode, go to that marker, copy, goto the copied timecode, paste. Works like a charm.