Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 05-22-2015, 03:37 PM

I switched from D-Control 32 to S6 two weeks ago. First impressions are quite mixed - I was a long-time Icon user and I really developed several workflows that I almost depend on.
We bought the widest frame - 9ft and it is loaded with 48 faders and has a producer's desk on one side. Even at this size, S6 feels rock solid, it's frame is very rigid and there are no signs of bending even if you sit on it. Absolutely no difference between the D-Control and S6. I kinda like thinner legs more and especially the lack of horizontal reinforcing plate that looked so clumsy on Icon's frame.
Faders are more silent than Icon's P&Gs.
We do not use this desk for editing, only mixing, so I don't miss any editing features. I do miss two things: 1. custom faders, because these were always located in the same place on the desk and did not depend on track hide/show state, and 2. plug-in mapping to faders, which was a killer feature when working with Cedar DNS and some reverbs.
Getting used to colour scheme, seems a very powerful tool.
Absolutely love the clips waveform display scroll - after only two weeks, I don't look at the ProTools screen anymore.
Plug-in mapping is still unfinished (even the Channel Strip is missing some commands, like filter slope), wonder if users will ever be able to edit their own maps.
I'm also badly missing the Icon's feature to insert a plug-in or a send from the desk.
S6 is two years old now, it's development and software updates should be moving much faster.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Avid

v2.0 next month has all the Spill (custom faders) features in and more.....
Old 05-23-2015, 12:51 AM

Awesome, thanks Eddie! Looking forward to it!

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
v2.0 next month has all the Spill (custom faders) features in and more.....
From what I've been hearing, the 'and more' part is a major understatement. v2 sounds like it is going to take us in a big step beyond the Icon capabilities.