Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Default clearing unused regions/disk space

i am working on a new macbook pro with protools 7 and an 003.

i have a huge sound library and now am running out of disk space when i go to record vocals and get error messages to make me delete other files to make space to record.

i am new to Pro tools and have 2 questions.

#1-
I previously used DP, and when cutting vocals in DP, I would hit "apple z" after a take I didn't want to keep, which i have done in protools, but i just discovered that this hasn't been deleting these files from the hard disk, only the pro tools session. how do I make it to where "Apple Z" deletes that take from the hard drive? I have searched the manual and come up empty.

#2-
When I finish recording a vocal (I use playlists) and have numerous playlists on numerous tracks, I comp the vocal and use several different takes from each playlist to form the comp.
when I go to the regions list and select unused, it gives me that business about deleting them from the hard drive or removing them from the session. i choose "Delete the from the hard drive" but then it starts giving me messages for each region saying that "regions remain in the session and cannot be deleted, would I like to remove them from the session?" but i know that these particular regions aren't being used, (unless they are underneath the wavefiles in the comps- and if so, how do I see what's underneath the comp in non-destructive recording?) anyway- I want to delete all my unused regions and can't figure out how to do it. when i navigate to the audio files folder for this particular project, it is loaded with like a gig of vocal takes, and I know I am not using that in the final mix. i am prob. using 100 mb at most. i have read about compacting the vocal but it didn't make too much sense and i didn't know the difference between clearing the selected regions and compacting.

thanks in advance for the help