Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Default Trouble punching in.

This is a noob question but Ive searched and cant seem to find a simple solution for what I think is a simple problem. I want to punch in some vocals on my vox track. I can hear the vocal track fine when not recording, but not when recording,I just hear guitars on the channels I'm not recording. Thats it, simple recording and playback on the same channel. The only thing I read was that you need to have separate HDD for record and playback which I dont have(not yet), but I can record and hear tracks that are not on the same channel so I'm wondering if it's something else. Thanks for the help in advance.
MBox 002
Windows Vista 64bit
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Trouble punching in.

Try toggling your playback monitor (Alt K). I'm not sure I understand your question but try this anyway.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 PM

yea thats not it. I need to hear the vocal track to cue me when to come in, I want to continue recording on that same channel where i left off. So I arm the vocal track and hit record, but instead of playing back the vocal audio PT records over it. Ive been working around it by duplicating the track but there has to be an easier way.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 AM

It isn't going to play back a track you are recording over, if that's the question. When you tell it to record, you're basically saying "overwrite what's already on that track," so naturally you won't hear it when you record over it. So duplicating the track like you've been doing is in fact the way to make that happen. Then you can 'comp' a finished track. If you want to punch IN and OUT on the fly, (just record at a specified point) use "quick punch" mode, play, and hit f12 when you want to record, and f12 again when you're done recording. Also make sure you're NOT using 'destructive record' so even if you overwrite your original, you can always undo it with ctrl-z, or trim back the file. You can also automate the punch points, but let's get a firm grasp on basic recording operations first.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 PM

MBox 002
Windows Vista 64bit

What exactly is the interface(since there is no such thing as an Mbox 002). VIsta 64 bit is not supported at all with any version of Pro Tools.

With Mbox(USB versions) you have the MIX knob. If you have it in the middle so you can hear both tracks, and incoming audio, you traditionally would mute the recording track and balance with the MIX knob. Since that makes punching in impossible, you have to change your work flow. Either record on a new track and then comp, or use the lowest buffer setting(128 with a USB interface?) and turn the MIX knob all the way to playback(the latency at 128 should be small enough that it doesn't bother you).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replys,
Mbox2 USB is what I meant. Vista is not supported but its working fine with the 64 bit driver I installed.

My problem is the mic is setup away from the console due to noise so I cant use the quick punch feature.
I think my only options are to continue the duplicate track route or utilize that automated punch feature you mentioned. Or employ a puncher-inner person....
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM

Or employ a puncher-inner person....

NOW you're talking! Find a real ATTRACTIVE puncher-inner person...
Old 06-07-2010, 04:20 PM

You can punch in automatically(I have seen it done but can't remember it exactly). If you highlight the area where you want it to record, and then engage the pre-roll function and set it for, say 8 bars, you should have time to get settled at the mic. A better idea might be another mouse/keyboard and screen. My system is setup with these 3 items on a 25 foot cable bundle so I can run PT from my drums in the next room. My local mouse and keyboard are USB so I can run long PS2 cables to the remote station. 25' VGA cables are easy to buy online(and surprisingly cheap too). An active VGA splitter completes the package(mine was $35 off ebay) and make sure your remote screen can run the same resolution as the main screen( I run 1650X1080 with a 20 and 22" LCD). And yes, you do need a separate recording drive(NOT a USB, firewire needs an Oxford chipset and your computer needs an approved firewire card/port). If you can add an internal drive, that is the best performance, AND the cheapest route(plenty of good 500 gb, 7200 rpm, 32 meg cache drives out there for around $50). WD Caviar Black are a great choice(avoid any drive with the word "green" in its description).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM

I still like the alternative method of the attractive puncher-inner-person, but it WAS a long cold winter....
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Right click on the record button in the transport bar and select "quick-punch" or do as Albee suggest.