Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2017, 09:39 PM

Default Moving from D-Command to S6 -- talkback routing?

Hi
Transitioning from D-Command/XMon to S6/XMon and having trouble understanding how to handle talkback. I was under the impression that I'd just swap out my old XMon for the new XMon, reconnect all the DSub's in the back and be up and running, but with the need for an external talkback mic on the S6, I'm not so sure. Do I need to replace the DSub on the XMon's TB/LB/Util connection with the included breakout cable? And what else is going through that TB/LB/Util connection that I'd be disrupting if I replace with the breakout cable? I didn't do the original wiring for the D-Command/XMon, so I'm kind of flying blind with understanding all of the monitor routing. Maybe I'm missing something basic here. . . appreciate any help!!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Moving from D-Command to S6 -- talkback routing?

I'm seeing that in my current setup, the TB/LB/Util d-sub is feeding my Mini speakers as well, so switching to the breakout cable would require some re-wiring in order to preserve use of my mini speakers. On the d-command it seem that the built-in talkback mic was feeding the xmon through the 15-pin cable that connects D-command to Xmon. Is that no longer the case with S6? I realize there's no built in mic, but if I connect a dynamic mic to the XLR input on the back of the S6 master module, is it NOT being routed through the 15-pin cable anymore meaning that I MUST run an XLR for talkback mic. Or can I essentially just use all the same wiring as current with D-command and then just add a mic to the XLR input on the S6?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Avid

I'm pretty sure the breakout cable goes to the Control D sub not the Talk/LB one. Heres the guide XMON S6 Guide

The Talkback connector on the Master Module is just a pass-through mount so yes you would need to run a XLR cable from the back of the Master Module to the XMON (either the TB I/P on the breakout cable or the second TB I/P on the LB Dsu. Check the guide for the type of microphones needed for each connector.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I'm pretty sure the breakout cable goes to the Control D sub not the Talk/LB one. Heres the guide XMON S6 Guide

The Talkback connector on the Master Module is just a pass-through mount so yes you would need to run a XLR cable from the back of the Master Module to the XMON (either the TB I/P on the breakout cable or the second TB I/P on the LB Dsu. Check the guide for the type of microphones needed for each connector.
Thanks for explaining/correcting me on this Eddie -- glad I was missing something basic. All seems much simpler now that I know there is no contro cable anymore.
I don't see any mention of dynamic mics for talkback -- can I use an SM57 or similar and go directly into the breakout cable or would I still need a mic pre despite not needing phantom power?
Thank you!
Gary
Old 09-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Avid

You should be able to connect it to the 25 way D-type TB2 input and not need a pre. TB1 does need a pre.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
You should be able to connect it to the 25 way D-type TB2 input and not need a pre. TB1 does need a pre.

Thanks very much Eddie. Transition anxiety!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk