Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Key Command Limitations

Ok I'm going to try and make this short!
I am adding key commands to add track presets ex:a track with my vocal chain etc. so the command is, key shift+command+n
key 1
key cmd+\d
key cmd+\d
key cmd+\d
key \pe
so this command would create 1 instrument track I added one more key it would be abbey road plates. but I have 13 more types of tracks that I want to assign to keys like an aux with a delay , reverb, compressor. so as I add key cmd+\d it moves down the list of track types but after anding 20 keys Eucon crashes, has anyone experienced this? I have added a screen shot of my track presets which probably explains better than I did
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 12.54.01 PM.png (65.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 1.05.13 PM.jpg (37.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by dez811; 01-28-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-30-2017, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Key Command Limitations

Haven't run into this, but I wonder if there's another way to get to your destination. Have you thought about using session templates with lots of extra hidden and deactivated channels with your presets ready to go? Might be a lot easier.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 AM

Default Key Command Limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Haven't run into this, but I wonder if there's another way to get to your destination. Have you thought about using session templates with lots of extra hidden and deactivated channels with your presets ready to go? Might be a lot easier.

I agree with Reich it's easier to work off of Templates with deactivated tracks for now.....

This is until AVID fully incorporates track presets into the software

IMO
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 01-30-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:15 AM

I've run into this count limitation too. But in your instance I would highly recommend custom track templates. I don't use a MAC so I can't confirm these steps on that platform, but I set up track templates this way on a PC...

(note. I don't think AVID fully supports this)

1) Create a new session.

2) set up a single audio or aux track (or multiple tracks if needed)
-- Don't forget to create and assign any busses if needed and remove any busses that are not specifically needed for the included tracks from your IO setup.

3) Add in all of the plugins you want to use and set any track colors if needed.

4) Save the session file to your desktop.

5) Name the file based on the instrument or tracks that are in it. For instance if it's a reverb aux then name the file something like "Lexicon 480" or whatever makes sense to you so that when you see it in the dropdown box you'll know what it is. (more on the dropdown box later)

6) Change the extension on the session to .ptxt

7) Copy the .ptxt file to

C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\Pro Tools\Track Presets\Custom Track

8) Restart Pro Tools and create a new blank session (to test your track template)

9) Bring up the dialog box to create a new track

10) In the 3rd column where it typically says "Audio Track" use the dropdown to change it to "Custom Track" in the last column you should see your new track template based on the file name in step 5.

11) Hit create. -- It should create the tracks in the .ptxt file with all the plugins and busses.

12) If you ever need to change the track template, just rename the .ptxt file back to .ptx and open it like a normal session. Make your changes, save and then rename the session back to .ptxt

hope that helps.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 PM

Anthony your idea is good as far as cleaning up the add track dialog, because I could put a lot of plugins in the custom folder and only see them when you choose the custom folder. But I'm trying to add my templates to a user page on the dock and not use the mouse. So it doesn't work for me. Reichman your Idea is better I guess because I could have a bunch of tracks in a template and unhide to choose the ones I want

Last edited by dez811; 01-30-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Add
Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez811 View Post
Anthony your idea is good as far as cleaning up the add track dialog, because I could put a lot of plugins in the custom folder and only see them when you choose the custom folder. But I'm trying to add my templates to a user page on the dock and not use the mouse. So it doesn't work for me. Reichman your Idea is better I guess because I could have a bunch of tracks in a template and unhide to choose the ones I want
gotcha! You can always take my idea one step further and assign a softkey sequence to create a custom track.