Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-29-2016, 03:55 AM

Default Output settings for headphones

Hello all..1st post!!..new 11R owner here and i'm loving it! I picked up mine second hand so I got through getting my drivers installed and the standalone editor installed....all good. I even started downloading some of the awesome patches online...thanks Benoni!!!! I do have a quick question. I have tried to search the forums to get an answer but I figured I'd ask myself. My question is, what is the best output setting for the headphones? From what I can gather so far the headphone output will match whatever you set for the other 1/4" outputs (left and right)? I'm thinking I want it set on Rig output so I get everything right? Also whatever the setting is, does it have to be the same for both left and right outputs or does one control the headphone output over the other? Any info would be awesome thanks!

Craig
Old 07-29-2016, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Output settings for headphones

You can adjust the headphone output separately from the other outputs using the Eleven Rack Editor or from the front panel.

Edit/Back>Headphone volume

This is from the manual

Quote:
Phones Output
The Phones output is a 1/4-inch TRS jack that
drives a pair of headphones with the same signal
that is being sent out of the Main outputs of
Eleven Rack. This can be either the output signal
of the current Rig when using Eleven Rack as a
standalone device, or the output signal of
Pro Tools or other applications when using
Eleven Rack as an audio interface.
The headphone output level is adjusted in tandem
with the Main volume when you turn the
Volume knob on the front panel of Eleven Rack
or adjust the Main volume from within
Pro Tools. If you want the headphone volume to
differ from that going to your speakers, you can
adjust the Headphone Offset setting in User Options
mode.
If you haven't got the pdf manual I would wholly suggest you download it as it's written pretty well and easy to search if you get stuck.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...v90x_71670.pdf

On thing to take note of is if you have your headphone volume higher than your mains, which I often do, and then turn up your mains, and then go back to headphone, the headphones will that much louder than where you set it even if the display/knob has not been updated.

I found this out the hard way when I first got my Eleven Rack and nearly blew my head off Lol So, if you are adjusting the mains, don't just throw on your headphones and start grinding away. Turn down the Volume first and then adjust up.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
You can adjust the headphone output separately from the other outputs using the Eleven Rack Editor or from the front panel.

This is from the manual

If you haven't got the pdf manual I would wholly suggest you download it as it's written pretty well and easy to search if you get stuck.

On thing to take note of is if you have your headphone volume higher than your mains, which I often do, and then turn up your mains, and then go back to headphone, the headphones will that much louder than where you set it even if the display/knob has not been updated.

I found this out the hard way when I first got my Eleven Rack and nearly blew my head off Lol So, if you are adjusting the mains, don't just throw on your headphones and start grinding away. Turn down the Volume first and then adjust up.
Great info......thanks! Since I got it used I did a memory reset as per your vid and got it starting fresh..who knows what they had going on in it....the headphones sound much better...then ill tweak it...been loading your rigs all afternoon!!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

This is from the manual

So, just one last question on this regarding the output signal to the headphones.....if i'm using the headphones, and I want the full rig..im using.."rig output" for my output setting....do the outputs for both 1(L) and 2(R) have to be set to rig output? They say the headphone output matches the main output, but do both outputs to amp for 1 & 2 have to be the same?