Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Newbie Question: Output Level for Acoustic Blues

Hey guys,
I'm sorry if this might be the wrong place to post this, but it seemed like this forum got the most traffic so I thought I'd give it a shot. Also, I'm very new to working with a "real" system. I've been mixing my own stuff at home for a couple of years now, but know I'm getting to use some serious equipment and I'm trying to do the best job possible.

I'm working on some Acoustic Blues style material and I wanted to bring up the overall output level so I can get a decent volume on CD. I know I could just compress the mess out of it, but the material standing well the way it is so I don't want to alter it too much. Also, I could raise the Master Fader into the plus regions, but since I'm new to Pro Tools, I don't know if there are any drawbacks to that. I'm guessing noise level is the biggest problem with either route.

I guess my question is, what's the best way to raise the average signal level without comprimising the material? I'd appreciate any help you guys would like to give. Thanks, have a good evening, peace out.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Newbie Question: Output Level for Acoustic Blues

Bump.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Newbie Question: Output Level for Acoustic Blu

Stevie,

Food for thought - I recently worked with Gavin Lurssen, who not only mastered a recent record that I produced but also won the Grammy for O'Brother Where Art Thou. I was searching for similar input on songs I was writing/demoing for a blues film and we had a discussion regarding traditional music. O'Brother, as well as the Martin Scorsese Blues Box set, which he also mastered, are some of the quietest records on the market with little or no compression or limiting. The way I understand it is basically the loudest moment of the entire record would reach the top of the digital scale. And there would be an effort to keep the levels from one song to the next somewhat equal or in a pleasing relationship.

A way to approach this would be to normalize the songs then turn the louder ones down to match the other tunes. Or apply limiting to the normalized songs that are quieter, in relation to the other songs, to help bring the level up.

Good Luck

Old 10-25-2003, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Stevie,

Food for thought - I recently worked with Gavin Lurssen, who not only mastered a recent record that I produced but also won the Grammy for O'Brother Where Art Thou. I was searching for similar input on songs I was writing/demoing for a blues film and we had a discussion regarding traditional music. O'Brother, as well as the Martin Scorsese Blues Box set, which he also mastered, are some of the quietest records on the market with little or no compression or limiting. The way I understand it is basically the loudest moment of the entire record would reach the top of the digital scale. And there would be an effort to keep the levels from one song to the next somewhat equal or in a pleasing relationship.

A way to approach this would be to normalize the songs then turn the louder ones down to match the other tunes. Or apply limiting to the normalized songs that are quieter, in relation to the other songs, to help bring the level up.

Good Luck

Thanks for the input man. I'm glad to hear their wasn't much compression on material as well done as that. I'm new at this and it's nice to see that my ears are on the right track, somewhat. Thanks again man, I really appreciate the information.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:06 AM

You are welcome.