Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2023, 06:01 PM

Default Re: HD Native (Mac or Windows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Also I'm confused, if you already have an HDX card and a Focusrite Rednet with Digilink, why are you shopping for an Omni? I'd rather have the Focusrite.

Where does PT9 fit into all of this?
Someone was selling one with a PCI-e PT HD - That is why!
Old 10-26-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazzz View Post
Could I get by without it? - Yes - Please don't be confused - I'd like to ask you if you have any older versions of say Reaper or Reason (such as 2.5 or 3 or 4) or any older Cakewalk DAW's - ??? - It depends on your age maybe - But if you do have older licenses for stuff you collected you may be inclined to keep these things for your own use from time to time.

PT9 would be no different apart from the more complicated Avid approach to ownership etc......

All of the music tech crowd need to manage all their licenses etc...... iLOKS / syncrosoft dongles - And this takes time and effort.
I'm a hoarder I still have a Commodore. So I get it. I can't help you though I'm not nostalgic for old PT versions. The licensing and hardware requirements might be a challenge so good luck to you.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:15 AM

One addition to my earlier post re "processing power"; While it is true that the HDN(card or TB box) does not bring any processing power, when I switched from my DIGI003 to HDN, I did gain some with no other changes. Now remember, we are talking older systems here and it would have been Windows 7 and PT 10HD for me. Back in the old days, we would "benchmark" a computer by running the old Dverb test. FWIW, on that old setup, I remember the Dverb score going from 320(on the 003) to 500(on the HDN card). No other changes were made at that time. I literally, turned the PC off, installed the HDN card, connected an HD IO and rebooted. The system came up with the old "New Hardware Found" message, and after a minute or so, it said I needed to reboot. Once I rebooted, I was off and running with HDN

In any case, tread carefully with old(non-supported) hardware and keep some stuff in mind:
1-no support for any part of your setup
2-you must locate old installers for everything(OS, plugins, etc).
3-session compatibility(with PT9, you sessions won't go back and forth with a newer setup without special attention). At least PT10 uses the same session file format as all the newer versions(but plugins will be a source of stress).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2023, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I'm a hoarder I still have a Commodore. So I get it. I can't help you though I'm not nostalgic for old PT versions. The licensing and hardware requirements might be a challenge so good luck to you.
Yes it would be a little tricky - It's 32 bit for a start PT9/PT10-Vanilla! - I'm considering - And it works with older interfaces - Thanks for the hoarder comment!
Old 10-27-2023, 01:08 AM

Hi - Albee1952 - It's good to know your experience with HDN - A bump in CPU performance for your plugins or whatever - This means it is good.

About a year ago - Avid stopped the perpetual licenses - Now they've restarted them! - It really can change like the weather! - Humour! - Lol - So I took a plunge on PT Artist "perpetual" - Full stop- perpetual - Even if it expires it can still be used even if or when Avid stop selling them again! - More humour! - Or when compatibility is not there or whatever the circumstance!
Old 10-27-2023, 01:57 AM

I can confirm that is the case. PCIe is so much more effective than FW. Big difference operating HDN or 00x.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I can confirm that is the case. PCIe is so much more effective than FW. Big difference operating HDN or 00x.
That makes perfect sense

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave