Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Default win 8 installs own driver for Fast Track Pro

I didn't see a more appropriate forum for this, since I am not using Pro Tools but have a Fast Track Pro USB interface.

I've loaded the latest Avid driver (6.1.12 dated June 2013) on my Win 8.1 machine, but when I plug in the Fast Track unit, windows loads its own generic driver (dated August 2013) instead.

How can I get Avid's driver loaded? I run Sonar on this machine and the Fast Track shows up as a midi device but not for audio. I suspect this driver problem.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:32 AM

Default Re: win 8 installs own driver for Fast Track Pro

First, you will need to wipe and reformat your computer's hard drive.

During the several hours you will be spending formatting your hard drive and reinstalling everything, you might wish to review the Fast Track Pro Quick Start Guide, especially this part:

PLEASE NOTE
: do not connect your USB Audio series interface to your computer until the appropriate driver files have been copied to your computer. Be sure to leave your USB audio device disconnected until instructed to connect it below.
As far as to why you have to do it this way, and why you'll have to reformat your hard drive and reinstall it can be found starting with my Post #15 (and beyond) on this thread:
Different hardware and OS, but the principles are the same...
Sorry 'bout that, but RTFM trumps all...

Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 AM

Default Re: win 8 installs own driver for Fast Track Pro

Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to the Billy person.

The problems with drivers for FTP are widely known, and reinstalling system won´t help you a bit. It will bring you nothing more than lost time and nerves.

All you can do is to hope AVID will hire some proper programmers and release fixed drivers.

Until then, stay strong.

Cheers.