How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 PM

Default How to use two Eleven Racks in Pro Tools

Hello guys !

I have two eleven racks connected thru USB. I have Protools 10. I seem to only be able to control one 11R at a time.

I read in some threads that when you connect two 11R on one computer Protools should automatically open two control panels : one called Eleven Rack 1 and another one called Eleven Rack 2. This does not work for me. I need to close one 11R configure it, then open the second one. This is annoying.

I don't even want to record with the 11R. I just want to use the Protools Control Panel tool to configure my presets.

When I check My Windows 7 Hardware, both seems to be detected and working properly. I don't get how to open one control pannel per 11R. I tried deleting and reinstalling drivers already. Didn't change anything. Anyone could help ?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM

Default Re: How to use two Eleven Rack in Protools

Are you talking about the on-screen editor or the 11R control panel?

In Pro Tools if you go to WINDOW, look towards the bottom, what do you see?

Does it say "Eleven Rack" as an option? are both listed?

How are your 11R's hooked up together? You are on Windows, so you can only have one interface active as far as I know. On Mac you can use aggregate.
You can still use both 11R's for guitar amp sims but you would probably want to run one into the other with SPDIF.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM

Hello Benoni

Thanks for answering :) I'm a bit new with all this so I will try to explain a little more.

Currently Eleven Rack one is plugged in a USB port and Eleven Rack 2 in another USB port. So none are connected to the other physically.

In Protools when I go in WINDOWS, I see only one 11R called Eleven Rack. If I close this Eleven Rack and open Protools again, then I can control the other 11R. Which seems to confirm both are installed properly. But I read that usually in Protools that when two devices are connected that I should see Eleven Rack 1 and Eleven Rack 2. That only one can be used as soundcard but both can be controlled. I don't want to record. Only play with the preset.

Is this message more clear to explain what I need to do ?

Let me know if you have suggestions and again thanks a million for your help :)
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADRAX View Post
Hello Benoni

Thanks for answering :) I'm a bit new with all this so I will try to explain a little more.

Currently Eleven Rack one is plugged in a USB port and Eleven Rack 2 in another USB port. So none are connected to the other physically.

In Protools when I go in WINDOWS, I see only one 11R called Eleven Rack. If I close this Eleven Rack and open Protools again, then I can control the other 11R. Which seems to confirm both are installed properly. But I read that usually in Protools that when two devices are connected that I should see Eleven Rack 1 and Eleven Rack 2. That only one can be used as soundcard but both can be controlled. I don't want to record. Only play with the preset.

Is this message more clear to explain what I need to do ?

Let me know if you have suggestions and again thanks a million for your help :)
So you are not trying to record with both, just control both at the same time with the on-screen editor.

And you have both plugged in with USB. Have you tried changing USB ports?

What about trashing databases and preferences?

Windows 7 Optimizations

What exact version of Pro Tools 10? 10.0.1, 10.3.4 ect..... Try updating to the latest version if you are not currently on it. And your drivers are up-to-date? Have you tried using the old 1.0.8 driver?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en355241

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...n-Rack-Drivers

I don't have 2 11R's to check this out with, but I will dig around later today and see if I can find anything.

What version of Windows 7? 32 or 64 bit? do you have SP1 installed?

Do both 11R's have the ERXP installed, ie Firmware version 2.0.1
If you don't know how to check firmware version here is a short video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFclFceQDg0

Make sure you are launching Pro Tools with Run As Admin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Zv774gV8s

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 PM

Hello Again,

I tried all day making this work following your recommendations. Did get it to work but I think I did figure out what part of the problem is. First of all answers to your questions :

Protools = 10.3.4 (updated today)
Drivers = 1.0.11 (did try to downgrade didn't work more)
Firmware includes Expansion packs on both devices (2.0.1)
Windows : 7 - 32 bits with SP1 installed

What i figures out is that when I go in device manager after booting up, I can only see one Eleven rack. If I close and open the second one, then Windows finds it and installs a driver claiming it's working properly. But if I then open PT10, I get a blue screen of death with error : irqu_not_less_or_equal.

From what I understand, the two devices seems to be conflicting with one another. I don't know if there could be a way to allocate different IRQs to each of them. Because if I load up Windows with only one deviced powered on, everything works fine no matter the device. So seems like it's some sort of conflict.

Any idea ?

Seriously thanks a lot for your time.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Did you try moving one of the 11Rs to a different USB port that is not on the same bus?

Did you launch with Run As Admin?

I don't know what kind of PC you have, if you built it, then go to the mobo manufactures website and see if there are any updates for BIOS, drivers, and chipset. If its an off the shelf PC then usually you can go to the PC manufactures website (sony, hp, dell, ect...)and enter the model number and download updates for the mobo and other devices there.

Always be careful when updating BIOS, you can brick your PC, so if you choose to update it - its your responsibility. I'm not saying you have to update the BIOS, Im just offering information on things that may or may not help solve the IRQ problem.

You can check out more about IRQ conflicts on the Microsoft website
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-35b1b172f841

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
How are your 11R's hooked up together? You are on Windows, so you can only have one interface active as far as I know. On Mac you can use aggregate.
You can still use both 11R's for guitar amp sims but you would probably want to run one into the other with SPDIF.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 PM

Hello both of you,

I did try different USB but that didn't work. I have an HP computer. I will look on their website for any updates. Maybe I can find something there.

Regarding PT10 yes it's running as Admin. I will also look at the Microsoft link you sent.

@ZEDHED : I don't want to record just control the units. How would you achieve this in Windows ? Any other suggestions ?

I'll let you know and don't hesitate if you have any other ideas.

Thanks a lot !
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 PM

Just an idea like that. What about if I buy an idenpendant USB bus ? I suppose I could buy this and connect it no ? I'm not talking about a USB hub obviously. You think this could be of any help ?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADRAX View Post
Just an idea like that. What about if I buy an idenpendant USB bus ? I suppose I could buy this and connect it no ? I'm not talking about a USB hub obviously. You think this could be of any help ?
Maybe, if the IRQ is a conflict from having 2 11Rs on the same bus. I would start by making sure your BIOS and chipset are up to date.

I'll see if I can ask someone that has 2 11R's and Windows 7.

did you say earlier that you did get both on-screen editors to show up?

Do you have Quicktime installed? If not, install it. I don't know why, but having Quicktime solved some problems with the 11R window for me, maybe something to do with the codec, though it was an un-related issue. Still give it a shot.

If none of that works let me know and i'll see if I can get someone with 2 11R's and Windows 7 to test it. Unless you want to buy me another 11R so I can test it for you

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio