Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Default preparations for HD10 trial then reverting back to HD9 with restore point

Hi, like many, im eagerly, awaiting the 14 day trial of HD10. however, i wont be able to purchase it by the end of the trial date and will have to revert back to HD9.

few questions:

1: is the transition from HD10 to HD9 safe? I've been reading about how the sessions become a different extention .ptf to .ptx or something rather. if i open a song in 10 and do some editing and mixing then revert to 9, will it pick up right where i left it?

2: do i have to reinstal all the plugins when going back to 9?

3: i finally got HD9 to work on my win7 i7 rig with a minimal 2 crashes a day, which is phenomenal compared to what i dealt with before all the tweaks and ughh. anyway, i created a system recovery restore point and called it HD9 . could i just simply go back to this restore point when the trial version of 10 is over? i understand the programs will be restored, but what about the session folder? will it go back to .ptf and keep all my edits and mixes i did in 10?

4: how big is the HD10 download?

best regards
Mark
Old 11-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Default Re: preparations for HD10 trial then reverting back to HD9 with restore point

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendizer View Post
Hi, like many, im eagerly, awaiting the 14 day trial of HD10. however, i wont be able to purchase it by the end of the trial date and will have to revert back to HD9.

few questions:

1: is the transition from HD10 to HD9 safe? I've been reading about how the sessions become a different extention .ptf to .ptx or something rather. if i open a song in 10 and do some editing and mixing then revert to 9, will it pick up right where i left it?

2: do i have to reinstal all the plugins when going back to 9?

3: i finally got HD9 to work on my win7 i7 rig with a minimal 2 crashes a day, which is phenomenal compared to what i dealt with before all the tweaks and ughh. anyway, i created a system recovery restore point and called it HD9 . could i just simply go back to this restore point when the trial version of 10 is over? i understand the programs will be restored, but what about the session folder? will it go back to .ptf and keep all my edits and mixes i did in 10?

4: how big is the HD10 download?

best regards
Mark

I'll do my best here..

1. If you work on anything in PT10, just remember to "save copy in" and set the session format to: Pro Tools 7->9 Session.

2. Make an image/clone of your working drive, then just go back to that when you've finished with 10. Simple and takes very little time to do.

3. See above.. for a Wintel machine I personally recommend Acronis for cloning/imaging. It works very well and is fast.

4. About 5 GB with the installers/instruments and such. Two separate files.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Default Re: preparations for HD10 trial then reverting back to HD9 with restore point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I'll do my best here..

1. If you work on anything in PT10, just remember to "save copy in" and set the session format to: Pro Tools 7->9 Session.
aaahhaaa!!! thank you for clearing this up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post

2. Make an image/clone of your working drive, then just go back to that when you've finished with 10. Simple and takes very little time to do.

3. See above.. for a Wintel machine I personally recommend Acronis for cloning/imaging. It works very well and is fast.

4. About 5 GB with the installers/instruments and such. Two separate files.

i dont know much about cloning a drive (nothing), such as my will my win7 activation key be cloned as well? my putter is completely offline. to re-activate win7, lets just say there is a car involved for the process.... i will look into it and thanks for the reply
Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 PM

A drive image done with Acronis True Image and used to restore a system drive, should bring you back to exactly where you were when you saved the image, with all authorizations in place. The only items I have ever needed to re-authorize are my IK Multimedia plugins, and that's as easy as sending them an email and asking for a new code to re-authorize after a re-install(same computer will have the same computer ID).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
A drive image done with Acronis True Image and used to restore a system drive, should bring you back to exactly where you were when you saved the image, with all authorizations in place. The only items I have ever needed to re-authorize are my IK Multimedia plugins, and that's as easy as sending them an email and asking for a new code to re-authorize after a re-install(same computer will have the same computer ID).
unbelievable how ik multimedia could have such good anti-piracy programers and yet have the most unstable plugins ever!!... amplitube3 has crashed my system more times then i can remember! but thats mainly cause its my first go-to guitar plugin, it sounds sweeeettt!!

thanks for the reply albee, ill look into it
Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendizer View Post
unbelievable how ik multimedia could have such good anti-piracy programers and yet have the most unstable plugins ever!!... amplitube3 has crashed my system more times then i can remember! but thats mainly cause its my first go-to guitar plugin, it sounds sweeeettt!!

thanks for the reply albee, ill look into it
Can't argue that. I usually have to uninstall and re-install Amplitube3 after I restore(or swap to a clone).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Funny thing is, the IK plugs are probably the easiest and most hacked plugs out there.. yet they still won't change.

I usually send emails asking for an iLok license to make it easy.. oh well.

Then again, I've stopped using them all except Ampeg.. I love that plug.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Actually, I’ve stopped using IK products until they come around to offering ilok support. It's just too much to deal with on an offline system.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com