Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2011, 07:17 AM

Default Can older Eleven Racks take the Expansion Pack?

Hi!

After just going through a cumbersome process of updating my older (2009) Digidesign-era Eleven Rack firmware up to v. 1.0.3 I'd like to get myself in more trouble by getting the expansion pack.

Here's the issue that may a non-issue. To update the firmware, I needed to first install the older Digidesign-branded 1.0.8 drivers, since the newer 1.0.11 Avid branded drivers, which installed successfully, somehow kept the 1.0.3 firmware installer application from working correctly.

Given that it looks like I may only be able to use these older drivers, will I run into any problem using the Expansion Pack Updater application? Note that I would be using the same Windows XP machine. I do not use Protools and do not intend to use it. I just want to upgrade the firmware to 2.0.1. to add the added features.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: Can older Eleven Racks take the Expansion Pack?

mine was bought around October-December 2009, i think? haha I can't even remember what I had for breakfast most of the time. I guess it was one of the earlier ones released with a metal nut/washer as opposed to a plastic one, if anyone here on the forums remembers that particular defect.

Anyways, I've had an 11R since near to it's release date, and I have had zero trouble with the ERXP. the only problems I had was my eyes not reading the manual. lol
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Avid

Definitely, yes!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisindot View Post
Hi!

After just going through a cumbersome process of updating my older (2009) Digidesign-era Eleven Rack firmware up to v. 1.0.3 I'd like to get myself in more trouble by getting the expansion pack.

Here's the issue that may a non-issue. To update the firmware, I needed to first install the older Digidesign-branded 1.0.8 drivers, since the newer 1.0.11 Avid branded drivers, which installed successfully, somehow kept the 1.0.3 firmware installer application from working correctly.

Given that it looks like I may only be able to use these older drivers, will I run into any problem using the Expansion Pack Updater application? Note that I would be using the same Windows XP machine. I do not use Protools and do not intend to use it. I just want to upgrade the firmware to 2.0.1. to add the added features.
It will work. It's sort of a grandfather clause thing.

To use the new avid drivers, you would need to update the eleven rack itself to the new version, and then you can use the avid drivers. I'm almost sure this is how it will work.