Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-19-2013, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Going crazy over sound-quality in PT vs Logic

Umm.... This thread begins to be very funny There's a lot of damn good engineers out there that are not serious at all

I think I once got a warning in Logic sayin' something like " You are about to use normalization. This function should be avoid if you are really serious about your work. Use it at your own risk."
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 AM

Maybe I should have substituted "no serious engineer" with "Pro Tools engineer who knows what he's doing."
I was speaking in regard to PRO TOOLS not having a "normalize during bounce" function.
Noboby would normalize a real time bounce, when (if they chose to) they could normalize the bonuce in 3 seconds after the fact.
Maybe it makes some sort of sense in Logic, in that it could easily be undone/redone?
I don't really know.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
No serious engineer I know of bounces to disk.
I haven't found a better way to get a 24 bit session to a 16 bit mix Stewie.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
There's a lot of damn good engineers out there that are not serious at all
Well, iīm more interested in the craft of making music.. not fiddling around with technical issues like these. At the end of the day, does the end-consumer of music sit around and go "Hey, the engineer of this song really did a great job here".. no they donīt.

That being said, i do respect and admire those who really know the craft of engineering, itīs just too time-consuming to learn (at least all at once), and with that in mind itīs great to have something like Logic around so you can sound professional right away, WHILE you learn engineering at a reasonable pace alongside it.

Quote:
I think I once got a warning in Logic sayin' something like " You are about to use normalization. This function should be avoid if you are really serious about your work. Use it at your own risk."
Are you serious about this ?

Can someone tell me why "normalize" is so big and scary here?
Do they mean something like; "Use normalize at your own risk, cos you wonīt learn anything about engineering, and that might be a bad asset for the future"?

Because thatīs basically my ONLY bad thought about using Logic.. i feel bad that i am not learning about proper engineering.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeey View Post

Are you serious about this ?

Can someone tell me why "normalize" is so big and scary here?
Do they mean something like; "Use normalize at your own risk, cos you wonīt learn anything about engineering, and that might be a bad asset for the future"?

Because thatīs basically my ONLY bad thought about using Logic.. i feel bad that i am not learning about proper engineering.
No, not being serious.
I'm just saying that I've never normalized a track, let alone a mix, in the 10 years I've been recording, and I don't personally know any PRO TOOLS engineers who use normalize.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying that I've never normalized a track, let alone a mix, in the 10 years I've been recording, and I don't personally know any PRO TOOLS engineers who use normalize.
Well i donīt get it then. If itīs there why not use it?
Iīll normalize the hell out of my tracks.. sounds better!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I think you mean 'louder' not 'better'!

Unless normalizing does something else to the sound that I don't know about?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Going crazy over sound-quality in PT vs Logic

This one goes to 11.

Darryl Ramm
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeey View Post
Well i donīt get it then. If itīs there why not use it?
Many things are "there" that don't have to be used.

You seem pretty hung up on "louder is better."

I guess just turn everything up and you'll be all set?

To say "normalizing makes a track sound better" suggests it probably wasn't recorded too well to begin with.

Like I said, I don't personally know anyone that uses Pro Tools on a professional or semi professional level that normalizes individual tracks or mixes.

Last time I used normalize was in Cool Edit, maybe back in 1998.

But hey, that's just me. Normalize til you're blue in the face.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 AM

Default Going crazy over sound-quality in PT vs Logic

It's a matter of how we perceive audio. Louder almost always sound better to us. The problem being there is a ceiling in digital formats. So we have pretty much expect our songs to sound compressed and limited like crazy. And it's def not better.

In fact as crazy as it sounds if you'll mix lower, you'll be able to get louder punchier clearer final mixes. It's worth learning how this stuff works. You may not say to yourself, "wow this song is engineered really well." But if your heads bobbing to it you kind of are saying that.