Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Default Oscillator, delay and polarity questions for aligning subwoofers on a Profile.

On a Profile...
I'd like to use an 80hz sine wave sent to both mains and subs on an aux, flip the polarity on the sub output, and adjust the sub or main delay time to try to cancel the audio level, so I can then reverse the polarity for maximum impact (quickly aligning the subs to the mains).

Can I map an output's delay time to a knob? I know the input delay can be selected on the left side of the console near gain, pan, etc...

Can I get a "super fine" control when using the mouse? The "fine" control is not fine enough when setting delay amounts on the output. I forgot to try + or - to see if I can get fine tuning. Entering amounts on the keyboard is tedious.

The polarity button on an output seems to be pre oscillator. Can I route the oscillator to a channel that feeds the mains and aux? Is there an oscillator plug in standard with the system? (Sorry I don't have access to look now).

Thanks,
Denny
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Oscillator, delay and polarity questions for aligning subwoofers on a Profile.

I just thought of one workaround for the inability to adjust polarity and level individually when using the oscillator on outputs...
I can route the oscillator to an unused output, send it out of the console AES out, then back in. Perhaps there is a more elegant way, but this should work, and also help me to adjust gain structure so subs and mains are relatively similar (because oscillator routed to outputs are not affected by output fader, so if, for example, a house PA has a very hot sub amp gain structure, I can adjust for it).
Old 10-03-2010, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Oscillator, delay and polarity questions for aligning subwoofers on a Profile.

Of course you can have your osc at the channel. I'm usually using only 5 FX so the rest of the FX returns I use as CD in, iPod/iPhone in, and OSC in. Just go to the patch panel, select inputs and then FOH and your OSC is there right next to talkback mic routing and other inputs available on the FOH rack.
Also you might or might not know there is actually a couple of great iphone apps with sweepable OSC's that you could always use in place of the internal one. If you are using Iphone that is.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 AM

I use the same setup...but I use a oscillator plugin. All you gotta do is goto your plugin rack, select an unused aux or matrix as the "source," select the oscillator plugin from mono > other (I believe) configure as needed then insert that into an unused channel. You have delay compensation right there (as a typical channel would) and you can route to wherever you want. Just remember to not feed anything into that "source" bus. That could be a bad day.

Not sure on the flipping of polarity and all of that on the outputs. I typically do all of that through a Meyer's Galileo.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 10-05-2010, 03:14 PM

Sheldon, please check this out. On a Profile, is there a way to map the output delay settings to an encoder? Why not make the encoder selector on the left side of the console also affect the encoders above the outputs when you select "delay?"

Regarding the oscillator, I now route the oscillator out a PQ, then into a channel vial AES, so that I have a channel that can send oscillator through all the groups, plugins, etc, for timing zones and subs.

thanks,
Denny
Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Avid

Hi Denny,

There isn't currently a way to adjust output delay via an encoder, but there are a few ways to adjust the delay in fine resolution mode. Try these...

1. Select the delay field on screen you wish to adjust, then hold down the keyboard CTRL key and use the Up and Down arrows to adjust in the smallest possible increment.

-or-

2. Hold the CTRL key (or FINE button on the console) and use the scroll button on the mouse (if so equipped) to adjust the onscreen delay time.

Sheldon
Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Jagard View Post
I now route the oscillator out a PQ, then into a channel vial AES, so that I have a channel that can send oscillator through all the groups, plugins, etc, for timing zones and subs.

thanks,
Denny
Why so long route and with wasting AES connector? Why don't you just route it direct to a channel like I suggested?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Why so long route and with wasting AES connector? Why don't you just route it direct to a channel like I suggested?
...I wondered the same thing. Or go with an internal routing of the signal as I suggested. But, we all have different ways of doing things. I'd rather not waste I/O for something simple such as an oscillator, when it is easyly accomplished through routing it internally through the console, but that is just me.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
By the time I received your post I had already routed it the other way.

I had tried using "route to selected" to route to an input channel, with no luck. I didn't try using the patch to a channel because I wasn't sure if the oscillator would then follow normal signal path; for example, when I routed it to an output channel, it would not follow the bus to the matrix (for example, if you send pink noise to check your stereo left, I don't believe the noise will continue to the matrix outputs that are fed by stereo left). So I did it my way, it works, and I haven't yet spent the time to investigate if I can get it done using fewer resources.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM

I would suggest using a plug-in instantiation for tone and noise returning to a normal channel or FX return so that your signal path is always the same as the other inputs. This method does not give you a meter on the channel, however it is tone and noise ready to go anytime.

Often I will use a plug-in for the outputs (Matrix or PQ) for EQ and delay. When tuning the system with Insert Mode turned on, the plug-in parameters are mapped to encoders. From there you could rotate the encoders mapped to the delay plug-in using Fine Mode. And depending on what plug-in is being used for the delay you could have time and polarity on the encoders.

This method works great and once in place, you could tune without having to touch the mouse.