Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Default Opening PT 7 Files in PT 10 help?

I just wanna start of by saying I have never used or operated pro tools before today. In 2007 I was in a band and we cut a demo blah. The guy who recorder our demo gave us all our session files on a back up disk he had Pro Tools 7 I have the files on my laptop now but, keep running into issues trying to open them. I get this "Your I/O setup has changed since the last time this session was saved. Check the I/O Setups window to see what's changed." Then it goes to a box that says "132 Audio File(s), ect, are missing." I don't know what to do no matter if I select "Manually Find & Relink" or "Automatically Find & Relink" I can't seem to figure out how to get the files to play audio back I have no clue what I am supposed to do or how to operate anything. The furthest I was able to get was tracks pop up but there is no sound or sound wave in the diagram boxes. What am I supposed to do.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Opening PT 7 Files in PT 10 help?

Does the backup disk have the audio files, or is it just session files?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM

Are you trying to open on a PC or a Mac? If you are on a PC, its quite possible the session was done in SD II format, which Windows will not recognize. Its also possible that(in this case) you can find a converter program on the web that would convert SD II to wave

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Are you trying to open on a PC or a Mac? If you are on a PC, its quite possible the session was done in SD II format, which Windows will not recognize. Its also possible that(in this case) you can find a converter program on the web that would convert SD II to wave
I am on a PC(Laptop) not sure if the guy had mac or pc can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Does the backup disk have the audio files, or is it just session files?
The back up only has 2 folders the finalized demo & session files back up folder which only has .ptf files.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:59 PM

.ptf is the session file
there should be folder(s) called Audio Files that have the actual sounds in ether .sd2, aif, or .wav format

sounds like you've jumped into the deep end with a full pack when you need to be in the wading pool
try YouTube for some getting stared videos and look around locally for someone to help sort it out

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-07-2015, 08:18 AM

Another case where whoever provided you with the session doesn't have a very clear grasp on what he's doing. You can't do anything without the actual audio files, and maybe they were in a different place originally than in the master session folder where they belong. Have whoever did this send you the audio files folder, after confirming that the files are actually in there.