Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 PM

Default Panning is Reversed (Pro Tools HD 10)

Has anyone ever had a problem in Pro Tools 10 where you pan one way, say to the right, but the signal is coming out of the left monitor, and vice versa? I cannot seem to figure this out.

Here's how I'm hooked up:

1) First off everything goes to my patch bay except for my monitors, which goes directly to my Presonus Monitoring Station.

2) The Presonus Monitoring Station goes to the patch bay.

3) I'm using the Main Outs on my Rosetta 200, and my Rosetta is hooked up to my patch bay as well.

4) In the front of my patch bay I go out of the Rosetta into the Monitoring Station.

Everything works - I can record, I can mix...I can work. BUT whenever I try to pan left in Pro Tools, signal goes to the right in the speaker and vice versa.

Now, I'm certain that I have all cables plugged in correctly as far a left and right so I'm not sure what the real issue is. In order to have the correct panning, I have to literrally re-patch in the front of the patch bay. What I do is take the cables that go from the Rosetta 200 to the Monitoring Station in the front of the patch bay and just flip them around so that my panning is correct. But I shouldn't have to do this.

Help! :)
Old 10-03-2015, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Panning is Reversed (Pro Tools HD 10)

You simply have something reversed. Start by identifying the left and right channels for sure. Stick a signal generator plugin on an audio track and just play with assigning the outputs of that track and understanding what you have set up wrong. take everything off the interface outputs avid connect you monitors directly there. Start as absolutely as simple as possible and add more once you get that working.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You simply have something reversed. Start by identifying the left and right channels for sure. Stick a signal generator plugin on an audio track and just play with assigning the outputs of that track and understanding what you have set up wrong. take everything off the interface outputs avid connect you monitors directly there. Start as absolutely as simple as possible and add more once you get that working.

Yep, agreed
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:49 PM

Okay thanks.

And I forgot to mention that this is only happening in a session that I recorded a couple of years ago. I just opened a new session and the panning is fine. I'm going to go through some more sessions and see if I'm getting the same problem.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txm View Post
Okay thanks.

And I forgot to mention that this is only happening in a session that I recorded a couple of years ago. I just opened a new session and the panning is fine. I'm going to go through some more sessions and see if I'm getting the same problem.

Could be the Output IO setting in that session are messed up. Go to Setup>IO>Output and look at what is there and what what output IO is used on tracks. Compare that IO settings to ones that are workign OK (I'm assuming you probably have session overwrites IO setting checked). Or you can just default misbehaving session IO and see if that fixes things/gives you a better place to start. And as I said before, just play with that stuff with a signal generator/tone on each channel/side of a stereo channel to understand that is actually happening. It will be something there. Pro Tools will not just get this "wrong" it will be doing exactly what it is told to do.