Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Plans for VST Adapter Support in Pro Tools 11

Thats right. It is not a new format to replace the others. It is a third one, where you in a reverb could have early reflections computed on hardware/hdx and the loooong tails done natively. That way you would get the best of both worlds. The zero latency and firm dependability of the hw and the massive computing power of native. Win!

Phone +46707773443
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Hybrid plugin is nothing new. TC Electronic made one called Tubifex, running on the Powercore platform. However I guess most of the processing took place on the native CPU in reality. The plugin latency is huge with this plugin.

The Duende software V3 used hybrid processing but I think it was just another way to say that the PCIe hardware was just a dongle. A couple of months later the native Duende plugins came out.

My apologies for saying that AVID is charging the developers for selling AAX plugins, just rumors , I may be wrong about this , sure PACE is charging but that is the point with their business...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM

Not really. Once you have shipping plugins and more details emerge on how exactly this works you might change your mind.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
From the horse's mouth...

http://www.avidblogs.com/aax-the-evo...of-a-platform/

You guys really should try using the Search...

Nah! I don't need to use the search function. I need to use my woeful medium term memory

Now that you've jogged my memory (I did read that article when Dave first published it), I seem to remember Rich Holmes going in to some "detail" about AAX Hybrid in the PT11 Q&A video :

In sort of vague, layman's terms, he mentioned that certain aspects of a particular process, could be addressed in the different domains, where DSP can take care of low latency aspects, and Native can take care of high RAM requirement aspects (such as reverb tails) simultaneously, to make the system as powerful and efficient as possible.

From what I remember, the whole audio engine (AAE) was coded for this, but at the moment there aren't any plugins taking advantage of it.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 AM

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=342309

^ I'm just going to leave this here.

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 AM

Amazed that VE PRO 5 is not mentioned more. It works perfectly in PT 10 (latest version). I actually use it now in preference (for most cases) for a direct insert into PT. I let PT worrying about running the show and VE Pro 5 doing the hard number crunching.

As long as :

1) I can have PT and P11 on same system (I can)..

2) That installing PT11 does not muck up my PT plug in locations (etc) ..

I will go for PT11, using VE Pro 5 (as I have to) and wait for more compatibility (e.g. all the NI stuff I have)...

The reason I have not yet gone for PT 11 is I am nervous the install might muck up / break my plugins that do work perfectly in PT10 currently.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionactive View Post
Amazed that VE PRO 5 is not mentioned more. It works perfectly in PT 10 (latest version). I actually use it now in preference (for most cases) for a direct insert into PT. I let PT worrying about running the show and VE Pro 5 doing the hard number crunching.

As long as :

1) I can have PT and P11 on same system (I can)..

2) That installing PT11 does not muck up my PT plug in locations (etc) ..

I will go for PT11, using VE Pro 5 (as I have to) and wait for more compatibility (e.g. all the NI stuff I have)...

The reason I have not yet gone for PT 11 is I am nervous the install might muck up / break my plugins that do work perfectly in PT10 currently.
VE Pro does get a lot of mention around here - you may not have noticed that.

PT 11 does not muck up your plugin locations, at least not on a Mac. I understand there's a folder location change on Windows machines though. Just watch when starting PT 11 and it does it's scan and comes up with plugins not compatible with PT 11 and offers to move them to the unused plugins folder - don't let it do that or you'll have a nasty surprise when you go back to PT 10. Just let them stay in the regular .aax used plugins folder and you'll be good to go.

QAPLA!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 AM

I was thinking about this he other day. What criteria define when a vst plugin can be used in PT11? By looking at the current options, it seems to me to be

-you can load vst plugins just as long as it is just awkward enough to kill your usual workflow

I would have bought Nomad Factory's Magma for just the vst hosting. The demo worked well enough for what I need, but when opening the plugin, you have to make additional clicks and mouse moves to get the vst plugin window up which is time and energy added to the whole effort of getting PT11 up and running in a usable manner.

Im sure anyone wishing to make a "volume level" plugin which simply has a fader or something equally perfuctory on it but will also host "clearly labeled vst's" would have no shortage of customers.

From what I read this would be the only hoop to jump through. I cant see this being allowed though which begs the question, why bother allowing it at all?
OSX 10.8
RME UFX
Artist Mix
Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weg View Post
I was thinking about this he other day. What criteria define when a vst plugin can be used in PT11? By looking at the current options, it seems to me to be

-you can load vst plugins just as long as it is just awkward enough to kill your usual workflow

I would have bought Nomad Factory's Magma for just the vst hosting. The demo worked well enough for what I need, but when opening the plugin, you have to make additional clicks and mouse moves to get the vst plugin window up which is time and energy added to the whole effort of getting PT11 up and running in a usable manner.

Im sure anyone wishing to make a "volume level" plugin which simply has a fader or something equally perfuctory on it but will also host "clearly labeled vst's" would have no shortage of customers.

From what I read this would be the only hoop to jump through. I cant see this being allowed though which begs the question, why bother allowing it at all?
Vst format plugins do NOT run in Pro Tools. It's either RTAS (PT10 and earlier) or aax (PT 10 and PT 11). Magma as you say can host vst plugs - so you need to do a couple of extra mouse clicks - learn to live with it if you really want to run some ancient vst format plugs which aren't being ported over to aax. Or use VE Pro for your vst plugs if you're on a Windoze computer.

QAPLA!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Vst format plugins do NOT run in Pro Tools. It's either RTAS (PT10 and earlier) or aax (PT 10 and PT 11). Magma as you say can host vst plugs - so you need to do a couple of extra mouse clicks - learn to live with it if you really want to run some ancient vst format plugs which aren't being ported over to aax. Or use VE Pro for your vst plugs if you're on a Windoze computer.
Kinda missed my point.

My point is that the line between disallowing a wrapper and allowing vst hosting within an aax plugin appears to be one of a level of inconvenience to the user. Maybe if you added a pan pot to my suggested volume plugin it could be a "muti-effect" and therefore qualify?
OSX 10.8
RME UFX
Artist Mix