Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 11-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Avid are Cheap beyond Cheap!

Recently purchased a full license of Protools HD 10/11 ON NOVEMBER 5th 2014. Avid announced their new Support policy Nov 10 2014 and have refused my request to get a freebie to the support Plan cause I purchased 5 days early!!!

Also note that THE HD license I bought is not even supposed to be sold outside the box by dealers but they do it anyways. So basically Avid will not accommodate my request. I've been a protools user foe 20 years and the cost to them to extend me their support policy is negligible at best!

How sad is this folks. This is the kinda company we do business with!!!!!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 11-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Avid are Cheap beyond Cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
Recently purchased a full license of Protools HD 10/11 ON NOVEMBER 5th 2014. Avid announced their new Support policy Nov 10 2014 and have refused my request to get a freebie to the support Plan cause I purchased 5 days early!!!

Also note that THE HD license I bought is not even supposed to be sold outside the box by dealers but they do it anyways. So basically Avid will not accommodate my request. I've been a protools user foe 20 years and the cost to them to extend me their support policy is negligible at best!

How sad is this folks. This is the kinda company we do business with!!!!!

That's odd, I got confirmation from avid that the upgrade to v11hd from 10hd I bought a year ago but have yet to register is eligible for the support plan once I do activate it. I did need to provide a purchase invoice. I also saw in the knowledge base faq that all activations after October 10th are eligible for the support plan as well.

Did you contact avid through a registration support ticket? That's what I did. It's free with no asc needed.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM

Cryos, did you buy the license new (as opposed to second-hand) and register it to your Avid account?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:46 PM

When this happened to me years ago, I called AVID and they changed my purchase date so I would be eligible. No hassle - just real courtesy.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
Recently purchased a full license of Protools HD 10/11 ON NOVEMBER 5th 2014. Avid announced their new Support policy Nov 10 2014 and have refused my request to get a freebie to the support Plan cause I purchased 5 days early
Umm...actually, IIRC, Avid announced the new support plans and subscriptions right around the 10th of October and that they would start being available in November. Which they started shipping on about the first Monday in November which would be the 3rd.

Some dealers may have had "old stock" of the non support plan licenses still available for sale up to that point. So if you bought a new HD license in November without making sure that it was priced accordingly and included the support plan and upgrade subscription, the fault is on you.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-26-2014, 01:13 PM

I certainly feel for you but you bought a product AVID doesn't sell !

If it was bought through an AVID dealer (its their bad on several levels) - they should go to battle for you!

If it was acquired any other way... ... even if it was a "legit" unactivated "real" license.... caveat emptor...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 11-27-2014, 07:14 PM

I bought the license brand new.
I bought it from Alto Music on Oct 5th!! Sorry Not Nov 5th. My Bad, Sorry

I registered it the same day on line Oct 5th 2014
I spoke with a manager at AVID and he said his hands were tied and wouldn't/Couldn't do anything.

That fact that one of you bought it a year ago but didn't register it till now is probably why you might get the support plan or they might give you the run around.

In any case Avid did not extend me any courtesy support plan.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 PM

While I understand your frustration and partially agree aswell we have to understand that the cut-off date has to be somewhere, if they push back for you, then why not for someone else who bought it 4-5-6-28 days before you.

I would call them as Cliffy Boy said and ask them personally if there is anythng they can do. Of course it may not work but if I had paid a lot of money for a HD license 5 days before the date of cut off I would call to see what they say.

Sincerely
Christophe

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Heck it might work out for you, you have a perpetual license that you can sell if you decide to, and you can wait to update whenever the new features are worth it for you

Never know, it may be for the best in the long run
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:07 AM

I doubt if it is as much a matter of dates as it is you bought something Avid does not sell (as propower pointed out), and, as you noted, the dealer should not have sold you.

Esparza audio posted, "I got confirmation from avid that the upgrade to v11hd from 10hd I bought a year ago but have yet to register is eligible for the support plan once I do activate it." But you will still have to pay the $599, right?

Since I make my living writing software I'm not inclined to "color outside the lines" on this stuff, but if I were, given everything that's going on with Avid licensing, I don't think I would do it until everything shakes out.

And FWIW...I don't know if you guys saw it, but somebody did a post a month or so ago showing that iLoks now have a lot more "data fields" than they used to...if you've got any licenses you intend to sell, you might want to do it soon...I've got the feeling Avid is going to shut down the "used" market in the not too distant future...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh