Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11HD = FAULTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Can we please stick to the topic of this thread.
A fanTAStic idea! A succinct and focused discussion about the topic itself -- that would be wonderful.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Ok,

First can you tell us which of your systems we are currently troubleshooting? You list a few various setups... Each will have their own issues I am sure...

So that said which system config are we going to start with? Once we have that we can push forward.....

To answer your question what I meant is following thew steps to setup your OS according to Avid recommendations...

This is for Mavericks... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t.../Optimize-10-9

I would follow it step by step... Another thing I find helps is to stop spotlight indexing (not sure its listed ) You can turn this off by entering into Terminal and typing the following:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

If yoiu want to turn it back on for some reason it is this:

sudo mdutil -a -i on

Once we get the exact system specs and a list of what plugins you have installed we can move forward...
Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
Another thing I find helps is to stop spotlight indexing (not sure its listed )
I seem to remember that disabling Spotlight indexing was beneficial for Pro Tools 10. With Pro Tools 11, it's the opposite - the workspace uses the Spotlight index, so you want to keep it on. This info is listed in the page you linked, under "Optional Optimizations"
Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Ah! Good catch! and... kinda interesting too.

syMph,

Can you go back to 10?

All my 10 rigs are on 10.3.8 and run smoothly on very similar Mac Pro's if that helps... issues w 10.3.9 have left it useless for most. Do you have 10.3.8 to install instead of 10.3.9 as stated in your initial post ( I can upload it to drop box if you need it)? the last stable version before that was 10.3.2 for us.

I have it running on Mavericks, and Mountaon Lion setups with no issues

I have avoided 11 like the plague for many reasons and have 1 rig just to test with... Until it tests with no issues I will not update the rest of the systems... so 10.3.8 is the max version I will use in a professional room.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I seem to remember that disabling Spotlight indexing was beneficial for Pro Tools 10. With Pro Tools 11, it's the opposite - the workspace uses the Spotlight index, so you want to keep it on. This info is listed in the page you linked, under "Optional Optimizations"
And if you use both 10 and 11, as many of us do, Spotlight needs to be both on *and* off.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:57 PM

Yeah it has been quite some time since I build a Rig for 11 and optimized it... Like I said we are sitting primarily on 10.3.8. I do have a 9HD rig, 8HD rig, 5 10HD rigs and 1 11 (thats sits collecting dust)
Old 11-27-2014, 05:40 AM

Cool thanks guys I went thru the setups article and did a run through the checklist today! Managed to get pro tools a lot more stable (could save on the fly after air was shown to its new home the trash can! contemplating my test dummy machine to go through a set up with... I have a new ssd on 10.9.5 with had 11.2.2 that has lots of plugs and auths installed, can I strip it down of plugs, prefs and pt and reinstall all again? then should I install hd 11 or 10 first so I can try out 10.3.8! (Thanks Jason I have 10.3.8 handy :) !

I'll do it all on the following...

Mac 5,1 12 core, 48gb, ati 4870, 256 gb Samsung pro os, 2x500gb Samsung 840 Evo (soft raid) for samples, wd black for audio, wd black for backups!

Yeah so 10 first?? Or u gonna make me go buy a new drive and clean install !!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post

All my 10 rigs are on 10.3.8 and run smoothly on very similar Mac Pro's if that helps... issues w 10.3.9 have left it useless for most. Do you have 10.3.8 to install instead of 10.3.9 as stated in your initial post ( I can upload it to drop box if you need it)? the last stable version before that was 10.3.2 for us.

I have it running on Mavericks, and Mountaon Lion setups with no issues

I have avoided 11 like the plague for many reasons and have 1 rig just to test with... Until it tests with no issues I will not update the rest of the systems... so 10.3.8 is the max version I will use in a professional room.

sorry .. a little offtopic ;-)

you write that PT10 is running with no issues on mavericks. Are you running PT HD ?

I found out, that PT 10 HD (10.3.8 here on a HD3 Accel-Setup) on Mavericks has some issues with DSP-Allocation. Some projects which run flawesly on Mountain Lion could not be opened on Mavericks.

thanks...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 12-01-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post

you write that PT10 is running with no issues on mavericks. Are you running PT HD ?

I found out, that PT 10 HD (10.3.8 here on a HD3 Accel-Setup) on Mavericks has some issues with DSP-Allocation. Some projects which run flawesly on Mountain Lion could not be opened on Mavericks.

thanks...
Hey sorry for the Holiday delay... I do run HD but I dont use the TDM or HDX hardware.... so that would probably explain the DSP issue you see... Im not using DSP on the Mavericks rigs, only Mountain Lion runs HD hardware systems. I should have been more clear.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post
Some projects which run flawesly on Mountain Lion could not be opened on Mavericks.
Are you talking about creating a session on a different rig and then trying to open that session on the Mavericks rig w HD hardware or creating a session w DSP hardware on the Mavericks rig and it doesnt open the next time you attempt?

From what I hear there should be a last release for 10 to address the OS differences, but thats just what I have heard.... we all know how that goes w Avid