Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 09-16-2014, 02:59 PM

Default On or Off

Hi, This is my first post but I have been "lurking n reading" for most of this year.

I built the computer a couple years ago, my PT 9 HD set up is new to me but is several years old too;

ASUS Rampage III Formula MoBo Oc'd to 3.8, 24 gig Gskill DDR3 memory (matched sticks) Kingston Hyper X 240 Gig SSD for OS, Kingston Hyper X 120 Gig SSD for audio, WD 5400 HD 500 gig for storage, i7 950 processor, UAD 2 x1, UAD Duo x 1, Ion 210 video card, Zalman 7500 CPU Cooler, rack server case w/ 4 exhaust fans. Windows 7 SP 1 with no updates.

Pro Tools HD 9, 192 i/o with the 3 standard cards and an extra Analog out, 1 ea. HD Core Card, 1 ea. HD Accl Card (PCIe), Control 24

My recording computer does not do anything but recording (no internet, Microsoft Office, firewall or antivirus turned on) I have had the Pro Tools set up and operational for about a month to 6 weeks. Since the original set up I have re-formatted and done a clean install of everything and didn't download any updates. The problems definitely lessoned after that and I've done the optimizations. I don't do this for a living but am in the studio at least 5 days out of every 7.

It seems like the more I turn the computer on and off the more problems creep up. Nothing serious (yet) more annoying like freeze ups and error messages about CPU ect... My home office computer runs 24/7 and other than normal maintenance it has run well for 6 years.

Do you leave your recording computer/Pro Tools rig running 24/7 or do you start it and shut it down every session.

I appreciate any comments/insight you may have.

Steve
Old 09-16-2014, 03:10 PM

Default Re: On or Off

Our PT rigs typically get turned off once a day. This has not presented issues here.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 PM

"WD 5400 HD 500 gig for storage"
This drive is too slow to be of much use in an audio machine. My rig gets shut down every night. If you leave it on, it should be connected to a UPS(IMHO, it should be on a UPS regardless, but especially if its left on and unattended)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-17-2014, 09:05 PM

If you get freezes and cpu errors it seems more likely you have issues with plugins, drivers or a under powered computer.

I turn on and off my computer every day with no issues related to doing so.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies,I'll keep shutting it down.

I did yet another clean the HD and re-load. This time I installed windows and only the updates not related to security. I installed 9.02 after that and it has been humming right along. It was probably some plugins I had loaded causing the problems, right now I only have the Waves and UAD plugs installed. I may try to load 9.05 before long and see how that runs.

The 5400 Storage drive works fine, it only holds finished songs/projects.

Thank you again

Steve