Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 AM

Default Considering Defection . . Need advice

My current Computer is a high end I7 running at 4.2Ghz, Win 64, 6 gigs blah blah blah . . and I have a 002 . . After building my I7 I have started to notice all of my prior recordings are slightly dull and kind of mushy sounding.

I have nice mics (U87 and others), OK pre's, and great sounding monitors, V88 w/sub.

When playing back purchased music over my monitors the good recordings sound awesome, but my 002 sessions are not getting it. I record mostly rock guitar, synth drums, vocal . . and tons of broad freq spectrum synth overlays . . Never more than 2 channels at once.

I am thinking sound quality problem is simply the limitations of my 002. In addition to the dullness, I really think the lack of ADC is making my drums, bass and hat work unaligned and causing some of the mushyness. I am not a prof musician nor will I ever have to deliver a PT session with 8 stems for mastering.

So . . I was thinking of selling off my 002, w/rolling stand, full 12' 12 chnl 1/4" normalized cables w/ patch bay and going in another direction.

Not wanting to spend Apogee money, nor switch to Mac/logic.. I was thinking RME, ADI-2, FF400 or possibly the new RME Babyface. For the DAW softwaree I have been considering "R . . . er" , FL Studio , and C .. base . . But I need guidance . neither of the software programs look like they are a fully an adequate replacement to PT. But I am a novice and could very well be wrong. . Any advice on the hardware and software would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you