Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 AM

Default How do I make CD "indexes" in a long audio track?

Hello. I am editing a one hour audio recording of a live concert.
When it reaches its final state on CD I would like for the listener to be able to listen to it as a whole, but if they like be able to press the track forward button and move on to the next track or piece.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

At this point I can only think to bounce each section as its own AIFF, line them up in iTunes, indicate zero break between tracks and burn it this way, but I am sure there must be a better way.

I also have access to Toast 7 basic, but have never used it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 AM

Default Re: How do I make CD "indexes" in a long audio track?

I'm not sure if Toast will do the CD indexing or not.. I could not find confirmation on the Roxio website..

The only software I'm aware of that will do that is Peak.. Not sure if the LE version will do it, but the full version will..
Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 AM

Try Fission from Rogue Amoeba (the Audio Hijack people). It has a split function that will breakup long files so you won't have to bounce individually, but you'll still have to move the resulting files to Toast or iTunes for the burn.

http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/

Cheap and easy. Check out the demo.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 AM

Pro Tools does not do this, however it can be done in Pro Tools.

This is the method I used all the time in the late 90's when I was recording Techno mixes and making CD's that played without pauses.

----
Open a new session and import your final mix.
Basically, you are going to cut your file using Apple+E at the points where you want your track to start. Once you have your "songs" chosen in this manner, you have the option of

Export Regions as files, or bounce to disk.

I usually use bounce to disk as when I am prepping for a CD burn, that means I am applying at least some small degree of mastering or dithering and so I put that on the master fader.

Just go through the "songs" one by one and bounce them. It really is very easy although this part can be time consuming as there is no offline bounce.

I always make a file inside my project folder labeled "Bounces" and then place them all in there.

Try using a standard set of labels such as:

01 - Hit the Bricks
02 - Kick Rocks
03 - Shove Off
and so on.

This way when you drag them into your burning program they will stay in the correct order so you don't have to mess with it.

After all you already spent an hour bouncing to disk.

HTH
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM

Cd spin doctor, wich comes with toast, does a decent job.
It doesnt cut the file, just makes an index, so you get seemless playback. If you separate in regions in protools, there may be a little jump from one track to the next.
Pepo
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 AM

I also have gotten into the habit of creating a separate "Bounces" folder in my PT song folder.

I don't know about Toast 7, but Toast Titanium includes Jam, which can make seamless, zero-gap cuts between songs. I've done several live CDs using it. Just separate the songs where you want the index marker. bounce in PT, and then line them up in Toast/Jam, you can even move the index marker one way or the other regardless of where the file split is. IOW, you could decide to nudge the index after the fact, tighten up the songs by eliminating a little in-between chatter or, crossfade between them.

An upgrade from the Toast you have should be under $100.

Don't use iTunes. I don't think it can do truly gapless cuts, even though you tell it to.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilliam View Post

I don't know about Toast 7, but Toast Titanium includes Jam,
Larry,
What version of Toast Titanium includes Jam? I have Toast 8 Titanium and have never been able to find Jam.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbears1 View Post
Larry,
What version of Toast Titanium includes Jam? I have Toast 8 Titanium and have never been able to find Jam.
I've looked on their website a few times trying to figure out that question..

The info on their site is terrible...
Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 AM

HairerSoft Amadeus Pro allows you to do that : just import your final mix to Amadeus Pro , insert markers where you want and press Burn button . Each marker will be your next track - very easy , just like in Cd Architect by Sony on PC side.
I have burned many Dj-mix cd's this way. http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro...oFeatures.html
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 AM

If you're on a Mac - you can also check out WaveBurner Pro. It is $499, but includes several other key software packages including a DAW program.