Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-18-2018, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Video Card - Mac Pro High Sierra & Native

I’ve also used multiple computers to test this. With no edits, things run smoothly...the second I use Beat Detective and have lots of edits over a drum track, totally sluggish feel.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:23 PM

128g ram doesn't hurt. I use 128.... everything snappy using 2 high end video cards 5 monitors.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:41 AM

If 128GB of RAM is the requirement, then there won't be an Apple laptop or iMac useable with current versions of Pro Tools for the next 10 years...
Old 08-21-2018, 05:13 AM

Protools has been buggy for awhile. You basically need to add $$$ for new machine. Video cards. Ram to get it to work like it used to.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:19 PM

Trim Support Yes or No can be viewed in the About this Mac>System Report>Hardware>SATA/SATA Express

Using non Apple SSD's this is supported but not always trim On.

I found using Samsung Pro and EVO products trim support on resulted in noticeable stability for my classic Mac Pro 5,1

I dropped $10 for Disk Sensei software to turn this on.

Last edited by DetroitT; 08-21-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 AM

OK, so if you can't find an HD7950 Mac Edition card (and Sieg won't sell me his ), what would one get right now, as a great, solid, stable graphics card for a 5,1 MacPro running High Sierra?

I have a GTX 660 in there right now, and I'm getting the crazy, blocky whacko graphics glitches...

What's the consensus on graphics cards for HS/Mojave?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 PM

Ok, so I grabbed a Radeon RX 580 from the local Canada Computers...

Works, but there's weirdo rainbow aliasing on all of the text and certain lines on the screen. Mac OS allegedly supports AMD Graphics out of the box, no drivers required - and there's no MacOS driver on the AMD site.

I'll likely take this card back tomorrow, and switch for something else. I was hoping to avoid nVidia cards, but that might be the only option at this point, no?

I don't really care about having the Mac boot screen, and can certainly wait until the login screen, so I don't need to get it flashed (or buy one already flashed) unless y'all here insist that it's necessary.

Because I'm running an LG Ultrawide 4K screen, and the cable needs to be 25', I'm running Displayport.

Any suggestions for cards that work with Metal2 and are super solid with ProTools?

Last edited by Mixchump; 09-14-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
Ok, so I grabbed a Radeon RX 580 from the local Canada Computers...

Works, but there's weirdo rainbow aliasing on all of the text and certain lines on the screen. Mac OS allegedly supports AMD Graphics out of the box, no drivers required - and there's no MacOS driver on the AMD site.

I'll likely take this card back tomorrow, and switch for something else. I was hoping to avoid nVidia cards, but that might be the only option at this point, no?

I don't really care about having the Mac boot screen, and can certainly wait until the login screen, so I don't need to get it flashed (or buy one already flashed) unless y'all here insist that it's necessary.

Because I'm running an LG Ultrawide 4K screen, and the cable needs to be 25', I'm running Displayport.

Any suggestions for cards that work with Metal2 and are super solid with ProTools?
Try with a shorter cable and see if the aliasing artefacts go away?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier View Post
PCIe SSD drives, other internal SSD drives (makes no difference).

Latest version of Sierra (tried High Sierra too, even more garbage).

Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.7

What does “trim tuned on” mean?

Thanks,
Sig
I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with upgraded processors, upgraded video card (AMD Radeon HD 7970 - PC version flashed with Mac firmware), SSD boot drive on PCI with High Sierra and 2018.7.

Very quick and very smooth. I'm happy with the performance of this almost 9 year old computer. With the AMD Radeon HD 7970, I should be OK with macOS 10.4 as well.

When I switched from TDM to HDX, things got slow. The biggest boost was upgrading from the original 8 core to 3.46GHz 12 core processors.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:13 AM

I have mac pro 4,1 now 5,1 using a flashed GTX 980ti need two power leads. I just upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.6 the other day, but sill using PT 12.7.1 not sure if that versions of PT supposed to be comparable with High Sierra but seems to working fine so far.
No glitchy graphics and I get the boot screen you can still snag one on ebay, running three monitors no prob. One at 2k the other two at 1080.
You do have to wait for drivers from Nvidia to come out to match the OS but thats fine as I am always way behind in updating OS. Things are very stable. I will update to Pro Tools ultimate soon and take it for a test drive on a test drive.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control