Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-08-2020, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Bug in new video engine 2019.10

Running Sierra 10.12.6 and PT 2019.10. This looping issue has been incessant for me all week on a job, using an 80 minute ProRes Proxy file. I didn't have this issue with the previous version 2019.6 so am planning to revert back. Won't be going to 2019.12 and am unable because I don't want to mess with an upgrade to AFPS and Mojave at the moment. It's honestly a bummer as I've been shelling out that $399/year to Avid for the upgrade and support plan, which I am happy to do if things improve but each new version has gotten worse since 2019.6
Old 01-08-2020, 12:12 PM

I'm on Mojave and suffer with this same video looping bug. While it can be "defeated" in the moment by toggling the blue "video online" button on the video track, I cannot find a way to make it stop happening, nor any kind of commonality (codec, length of loop, version of Blackmagic Desktop Video) to try to counteract it.

My client stage is on 2019.5 so I don't have to worry about it with people in the room, at least.

Any insight, however small, from anyone would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 01-20-2020, 11:24 AM

This got very bad today using Aja T-Tap. It kept looping a one-second clip, no matter what I tried (disable / re-enable video engine or just taking the video track offline for a while have always been the cure before)

I removed the AJA box and plugged the HDMI straight to the trashcan, running as 3rd monitor desktop video in full screen mode. No more loops, but jerky playback.

This was with PT Ultimate 19.12, High Sierra. We downgraded all workstations to PT 19.6 today because we also had issues with the "referencing wrong audio" bug and check if this works better.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:12 AM

Having the same issue. Had it in 2019.10 and still having it in 2019.12 on Mojave with Decklink 4k.

VERY frustrating!
Old 03-05-2020, 03:26 PM

Anyone found a solution to this? Happens so frequently that it really puts a stop in my workflow.

I can't update to latest version of PT yet either as the mixer I edit for is still using an older version that doesn't like opening the files (had updated then needed to revert back).
Old 03-06-2020, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklaavo View Post
This got very bad today using Aja T-Tap. It kept looping a one-second clip, no matter what I tried (disable / re-enable video engine or just taking the video track offline for a while have always been the cure before)

I removed the AJA box and plugged the HDMI straight to the trashcan, running as 3rd monitor desktop video in full screen mode. No more loops, but jerky playback.

This was with PT Ultimate 19.12, High Sierra. We downgraded all workstations to PT 19.6 today because we also had issues with the "referencing wrong audio" bug and check if this works better.
No issues of the sort here. (see signature for specs). Could be an old video card driver?
Note that 19.12 is only qualified with:

10.13.6, 10.14.6, 10.15.1, 10.15.2

F.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan_hill View Post
Anyone found a solution to this? Happens so frequently that it really puts a stop in my workflow.

I can't update to latest version of PT yet either as the mixer I edit for is still using an older version that doesn't like opening the files (had updated then needed to revert back).
Found no solution, just ways to "handle it":

(1) If a client is in the room, I DISENGAGE LOOP PLAYBACK. The looping bug does not occur. Any "looping" I need, I do so manually by making a selection and pressing the spacebar as needed.

(2) put "command+shift+J" *twice* in your muscle memory, which toggles video online off then back on, which defeats the looping bug.

Any other "quick tricks" out there until they find a fix?

System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 03-06-2020, 11:07 AM

I have problems with the new newest pt version on windows.(non hd).
If I import a video and put a sound somewhere on the timeline, all is in sync when I export a QT.
If I then get a new video and replace the old one with that, everything is out of sync when I play back and export.
Every time I get a new video, I have to make a new project and import everything into the new session.

I really wish they would work on their video engine.
It has always been super unstable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Another BUG "Avid video engine stopped unexpectedly" 2019.12 happens often while editing fast. Its what we get paid for. I cant dictate to my clients what format they work in or send me. The video enging nightmare continues. Why should I take expensive time to convert to a file that Avid/pero tools is happy with. If I must what is best pro video converted for us heathen audio pros??

high Sierra/macpro.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoing123 View Post
Another BUG "Avid video engine stopped unexpectedly" 2019.12 happens often while editing fast. Its what we get paid for. I cant dictate to my clients what format they work in or send me. The video enging nightmare continues. Why should I take expensive time to convert to a file that Avid/pero tools is happy with. If I must what is best pro video converted for us heathen audio pros??

high Sierra/macpro.
Do you have "loop Playback" engaged? If so, even if part of your workflow, try disengaging.

If not, then I haven't run into this issue yet. If it is codec, a very fast converter is ffWorks - uses multiple cores, I've been very happy with it for feature-length projects, and it does short form super fast.

System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits

Last edited by gwhatley; 03-22-2020 at 01:36 PM.