Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Default Backupper Pro question

Is anyone else using this? I really like the way it works, but it seems that every 3 months, when I go to do a backup or clone of my system drive, the program's "PRO" registration has disappeared(which disables important features) and I have to hit their support for a new code.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-02-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Backupper Pro question

Haven't heard of that software. It could be that their "pro" and non pro versions of the software are the same code, and they are requiring the pro users to re-authorize every 3 months to try to prevent people from giving copies to their friends. If this is the case, I would think there would be a better way to prevent duplicating the software, because at some point, customers will get tired of having to contact support.

Next time you have to contact support, ask them why the re-authorization is necessary.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Haven't heard of that software. It could be that their "pro" and non pro versions of the software are the same code, and they are requiring the pro users to re-authorize every 3 months to try to prevent people from giving copies to their friends. If this is the case, I would think there would be a better way to prevent duplicating the software, because at some point, customers will get tired of having to contact support.

Next time you have to contact support, ask them why the re-authorization is necessary.
Did that the last time this happened.....its really good software....when it works So I took the long way around, saved an image, then recovered from the image. Then Windows wouldn't boot and running the Startup repair function just loops for hours.....and it looks like nobody works there on weekends...

Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM

The last thing you want in your backup software is unpredictability. Even though it has it's limitations, I have never had a problem with Acronis True Image. I think you have mentioned before that you used to use Acronis. I don't use the automatic backup functions. Rather, I just do a manual backup and verification from time to time on my OS drives on all 3 of my computers.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:59 PM

I swore by Acronis for many years, but IMHO, the more they "improve" it, the less I like it. I also hate that it doesn't ID drives by their letter(once this actually caused me to clone in the wrong direction, ruining a perfect system drive setup). I still own it, but don't like using it that much. Backupper Pro works flawlessly(except for this annoying issue)

Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 AM

albee, have you tried Macrium Reflect? I too used Acronis until they dumbed it down.

I replaced an OS drive in my Laptop recently, booted to the Rescue Disk and, without having to first initialize the drive, Macrium saw it and allowed me to restore an OS image to the drive. Took way longer to replace the drive than image it.

I also like that the paid version allows a user to set up an email notification for success or failure.

The only things the free version doesn't do is restore to dissimilar hardware, rapid deploy and email notification.

As always, YMMV.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-03-2017, 03:13 PM

At this point, I am going to try anything and everything else as absolutely NOTHING is working for me. A second full day completely wasted Tried cloning with Samsung's own software=will not boot. Cloned with Backupper Pro+will not boot. Recovered from Backupper image=will not boot. Try to run the Windows recovery disk=will not load. Stick the old drive in, runs perfect. Somebody come by, stick your head in the door and shoot me

Old 09-03-2017, 03:35 PM

Well, I am not going to shoot you, but it certainly sounds frustrating. I am using Acronis True Image Home 2009, so I don't know about the "improvements" they made in newer releases.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:50 PM

albee, I just PMed you. Hopefully I can help.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-03-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Well, I am not going to shoot you, but it certainly sounds frustrating. I am using Acronis True Image Home 2009, so I don't know about the "improvements" they made in newer releases.
As long as that works, keep it!!! Thanks for the try, Bruce...more failures. Maybe I can find an expert on Paragon to walk me thru that as its about the least intuitive backup I have tried to date