Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-15-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Kontakt Session String Midi Notes Stuck on Sustain

Can you use Kontakt standalone without an issue? That would help to know if it's just within Pro Tools, or if it's something with Kontakt and/or your system.

I am using PT 2019.12 HD and I don't have this issue, and nor have I ever had this issue with PT versions that I've been using since v8.

I am using the NI S88 keyboard via USB right into my Mac Pro trash can. I also have a USB MIDI interface MOTU MIDI Express XT that works with other MIDI keyboards and my Roland V-Drums last time I checked(about a month ago). What is your MIDI interface?

Do you have a USB MIDI keyboard? Do you have another MIDI keyboard you can try? Somehow your computer seems to not be getting the MIDI off note transmission from your keyboard. Can you use the Kontakt built in keyboard in the plug-in with your mouse without issue? In Pro Tools? In standalone? Other VI's work fine?

I'm just throwing out ideas for you to try that I would try before saying it's a Kontakt issue.
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Yeah, it still happens. Latest version of PT and KU.

I don’t know who the issue falls on as I don’t tend to write much outside of PT (whenever I get the chance to write that is), but it happens with basic one note stuff like basslines not just complex stuff.

I just personally chalk it up to more annoyances with MIDI in PT that I never see changing unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It happens ALL THE TIME - for me unusable
Old 01-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have you hit the panic button in Kontakt? It's th exclamation point at the top right of the gui. That'll stop the notes from sounding. All the mute does is stop you from hearing the notes - it doesn't stop them.
Your right. Its actually still sticking but muting only mutes the sound. My other way is to deactivate kontakt but then it has to load everything again.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:51 AM

Same stuck notes here. Sonuscore plug ins. I wish Kontakt 6 could have a midi assignable "!" button because that is my only solution.

1. Find the offending track (out of 100 channels sometimes!)
2. Open the plugin
3. Move to "!" and click...

Very time consuming.

Even some sort of CC control for the Kontakt Panic Button. Then I could write a bar 1 of my composition with this CC and quickly play it to shut it up!
Old 08-31-2021, 04:47 PM

I experience often hanging notes when using NI String Ensemble Symphony Essentials. This is an issue that seems to be around already for years now. But according to NI it should have been solved in version 1.4.0 ( in 2018 ). It is not solved !!

After extensive testing I found a way reproduce the issue in a consistent way.
I created a support ticket at NI for this, in which I explain how to reproduce it, and other observations.

Hereby the content of the ticket:

Sometimes I have hanging notes while playing Symphony Essentials String Ensemble. This Is/was a known issue, but according to the changelog it should have been fixed in version 1.4.0 (2018-10-16). I’m currently running version 1.4.1, but the issue is still not fixed.

As I use this Library during live performances, this is not something you want to happen during a performance. I did some extensive testing and found in my opinion what the issue is. I also have an easy way to reproduce the issue:

Press a note, and keep it pressed.
Then Press the Sustain pedal and keep it pressed
Press again the same note and keep it pressed
Now release the sustain pedal (while note is still pressed.
Now release the pressed note, and you will hear the note keeps playing.
When you observe the number of used voices, you will see that everytime you press the same note (while sustain pedal is pressed), the number of voices will increase by 2. It seems that previous sample is not being released, after triggering/playing the same note again.
When you play the same note 4 times, then 8 voices will be used. Keeping the note pressed, and then release the sustain pedal, only the last 2 voices are released, and the 6 are still playing. Pressing the sustain pedal another time, will release then all remaining voices.

I tested with all the other symphony essential / and also symphony series libraries. And this only happens with “string ensemble symphony essentials”. All other libraries will retrigger the same sample / or release it before triggering it again. In that way the number of voices will not increase while playing the same note several times.

I hope this gives a clear view on how to reproduce the issue, and in that way also a hint on how to solve it.

Regarding this thread: I only have session strings pro / pro 2, and cannot test this on session strings. As with the symphony series there might also be a difference in how things work between the "normal" session strings and the pro versions. In session strings pro / pro 2 I could not reproduce the issue in the above described way