Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Backupper Pro question

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I will hit that in the morning.
Assuming you can't boot into your system or can't find images, it's not going to do you any good. You need a good image or go in through command prompt as I mentioned earlier.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-05-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Assuming you can't boot into your system or can't find images, it's not going to do you any good. You need a good image or go in through command prompt as I mentioned earlier.
I'm starting to think its something to do with Win 10 or the UEFI stuff. This last time, the drive clone finished (in Backupper Pro) but EUFI/Bios won't even see the drive..... I did this kind of thing on the old rig and windows 7 a dozen times with 100% success.....BTW, looks like Paragon ver.16 has no free version, only a free trial(which I will try)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Never mind the trial. It tells me I need to do a bunch of crap that is way above my pay grade. Why can't somebody make a program that works with Windows 10 and a modern computer>?

BTW, I tried doing a clone with Paragon. I started Monday night around 7PM. At 8PM. it said 3% complete, so I went home. Came back in around 9:30 the next morning and it was at 7% complete.......

Last edited by albee1952; 09-05-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Never mind the trial. It tells me I need to do a bunch of crap that is way above my pay grade. Why can't somebody make a program that works with Windows 10 and a modern computer>?

BTW, I tried doing a clone with Paragon. I started Monday night around 7PM. At 8PM. it said 3% complete, so I went home. Came back in around 9:30 the next morning and it was at 7% complete.......
There is an issue. I do all of my systems with Paragon. I never have issues. I used Macrium on a system a couple weeks ago to test it out. I did have any issues either. In both cases, it took around 10-12 minutes maybe to make an image.
So can you or can not boot into your system?? I got the impression you could not boot into it previously.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10

Last edited by guitardom; 09-05-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:28 PM

Paragon does my system disk in about an hour using Windows 10!!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 PM

I have 1 working system drive. I am trying to clone it so I can experiment with some newer stuff but until it actually works, I am stuck in one spot. Plus, I tried saving a drive image with both Paragon and Backupper. The Backupper image finished, but the Paragon image went 13 hours to get to 7% so I cancelled it. I have also NOT been able to recover the Backupper image to a spare drive so I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling on any of this. If I connect the cloned drives and look at them in Windows Explorer or in Disk Management, they LOOK fine(all files appear and partitions show exactly the same as the working system drive. I can't begin to explain how frustrating it is and how I feel like I am flirting with disaster because I have no backup plan that I can trust. I'll gladly buy someone lunch if they want to come by and show me where I am going wrong

Old 09-06-2017, 10:56 AM

Hey old chap,

I completely feel your pain..you must be pissed, sorry to hear.
Not being a techie myself I did my fair share of drives and image juggling in my DAW existence.

**: did your backup solution initially give you an option to build a rescue disc ? Have it ?? I use Acronis True Image since all the way back the days of "Bar & Grill " and "The Tea Room" days ( ) if you recall.
Many times I had to resort for the PC booting with it.

**; When you mentioning "look at them in Windows Explorer or in Disk Management, they LOOK fine" ...that doesn't mean you can just see and open these encrypted BU folders. You need to access them via your installed image backup application.

** I did have my fair share of frustration in the past with True Image, mostly GUI related and it didn't like to recall from all random locations.
I use now a secure "vault" without issue. Have one ? Can your BU app access it ?
Also I did not have a need or guts to go W10..That might play in your case. That is a stubborn OS. ( like PT .. )

** ; I know I wasn't giving you much help..one thing I can think of ( happened to me earlier this year ) the BU software for some unknown reason wrote a corrupt image and my PC would not boot !
Took me a while to figure out the bastard set my BIOS boot sequence to start with an unrecognizable volume !! Then I just reset to CD and read my above mentioned "rescue disc"

wish I could help in a specific way to solve your nightmare buddy ...
The Weed uses Macrium and happy. I'm with True Image..it works in general.

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Hey Andrew, miss your presence around here
**: did your backup solution initially give you an option to build a rescue disc ? Have it ?? I use Acronis True Image since all the way back the days of "Bar & Grill " and "The Tea Room" days ( ) if you recall.
Many times I had to resort for the PC booting with it.Yes,
created rescue disks for Paragon, Backupper and Windows. Backupper runs but does not give me a working boot drive. Paragon fails. Windows runs Startup Repair and never finishes

**; When you mentioning "look at them in Windows Explorer or in Disk Management, they LOOK fine" ...that doesn't mean you can just see and open these encrypted BU folders. You need to access them via your installed image backup application.Nothing is encrypted. Backup images are accessible. Backupper image restored and booted the first time, and never again

** I did have my fair share of frustration in the past with True Image, mostly GUI related and it didn't like to recall from all random locations.
I use now a secure "vault" without issue. Have one ? Can your BU app access it ?
Also I did not have a need or guts to go W10..That might play in your case. That is a stubborn OS. ( like PT .. )Indeed, I am still not a fan of Windows 10 but since that's what I have running, I am determined to stay current(and have no time to reload every piece of software yet again)

** ; I know I wasn't giving you much help..one thing I can think of ( happened to me earlier this year ) the BU software for some unknown reason wrote a corrupt image and my PC would not boot !
Took me a while to figure out the bastard set my BIOS boot sequence to start with an unrecognizable volume !! Then I just reset to CD and read my above mentioned "rescue disc"Could it have anything to do with my optical drive being external on USB? It shows up in BIOS and the system will boot from it...

Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM

So I decided to make a new Paragon Recovery Media, which I THOUGHT I could do with a CD-R. That was not an option so I went with the USB stick option on a clean 8GB stick. Tried 3 times to boot from the stick and every time I got a blank black screen with a nice mouse pointer...........................Fail number 6?!?!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Could it be that you have a corrupt Paragon install? If you currently don't have a reliable way to backup (and recover), my advice would be to revert back to Acronis True Image, at least until you can sort out the issues with the other backup programs.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.