Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Those getting "audio tracks stop playback/outputs disable" Questions?

Hi,

Been testing this issue and found something that effects it on my test session!

I started with no plugins except avid included and started putting plugins back in the folder and found that for me it was the soundtoys bundle that was causing the problem. i have all plugins back in the folder except sound toys now and its been running ok.

Is anyone getting this problem who does not have any sound toys plugins installed into the plugins folder (Not in the session necessarily, but in your plugins folder)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Those getting "audio tracks stop playback/outputs disable" Questions?

Chris,

No Soundtoys here.

I have (rough and ready off the top of my head):

Massey (All)
Sonnox Limiter
Slate VCC and Trigger
SPL TwinTube & Transient Designer
Kontakt 5
Kore Player
Reaktor5
Guitar Rig 5
Pod Farm 2 (complete)
Brainworx (most of them)
Autotune 5 & 7
Harmony Engine (& EFX)
VocAlign Pro
Stylus
Reason (via ReWire)
All the Digi & AIR Virtual Instruments
Eleven TDM

Dunno if that helps at all.

Cheers

Steve Bush
www.music180.com/pros/5887

2 x Systems: MacPro 4.1 (Nehalem) 2.26 8 Core, OSX 10.6.8, PT10HD, 14 Gig RAM, PCIe HD3, 192's, Sync I/O, Midi I/O.
HEAT
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Those getting "audio tracks stop playback/outputs disable" Questions?

I only have the Devil Loc Deluxe plugin from SoundToys and experienced the problem before installing the disastrous 10.0.1 update. I am seriously suspecting either Nomad factory's Magnetic, Slate Digital VCC plugin or the latest update of the Sonnox EQ.

Next to the PTIEP and other VI's from Avid, here's a handful of third party plugins that I work with often lately:

- Toontrack Superior Drummer and Drumtracker
- PSP NO2
- Slate VCC
- Slate FG-X
- IK MultiMedia Philharmonik, T-Racks 3 Deluxe + Black 76/White 2A and Amplitube 3 (to top up my 11R)
- Sonnox Oxford Essential bundle
- Nomad Factory Magnetic II, Echoes and British Bundle
- Waves SSL 4000 bundle
- Rob papen Distort and Delay
- Celemony Melodyne
- SoundToys DevilLoc Deluxe
- AAS Ultra Analog
- WaveRider
- Focusrite Forte Suite
- Harmony EFX
- Pod Farm 2 (to top up my 11R)
Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Hi,

on this one particular session!

Actually pin pointed it down to filter freak! with that removed from my plugins folder and therefore not loading into the session! the session would load and play back fine. with it in the session one side of a vocal bus would not play and a delay return would not work until i clicked on the faders. Totally repeatable!!

watch this vid, you'll notice that the stereo bus labelled +M is only playing on the left channel when it starts playing until i click on the fader, and also the delay return labelled DLY1 has no sound until i click on the fader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2uLeDx97ZU

I guess this session and having the no sound on session load on several tracks is possibly related to the main problem everyone is seeing but not exactly it. but the fix is usually the same!! click on the faders and sound comes back again.

This session does also suffer the main issue when duplicating tracks and entire groups will stop playing etc! but i ran last night for 30 minutes with "no plugins in the plugins folder other than the included Avid ones" and constantly duplicated tracks etc and no problem!

I've got a few more things to check, but this session whilst i was working on it was giving me this issue constantly, so i'm able to eliminate things quite quickly.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Chris,

No Soundtoys here.
Hi,

Thanks! i knew it was going to be so obvious and easy but i still have some theories to check.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 AM

same "auto-mute" bug here. i tried it with just stock-plugins loaded, still getting channels that seem to play but do not output audio.

second BIG bug is the click. every now and then, out of nothing, the click won´t play the first beat. this is also a serious problem. i have to readjust the region, then it´s working.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Hi,

If i disable all filter freak plugs then save the session then reload it all works ok on first boot now! so this specific problem was caused by having filter freak in the session.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM

I did a thorough check on each and every plugin I have and found out that I had Sonnox EQ version 2.7.1 and that Sonnox had silently updated their EQ plugin to 2.7.2 only very recently. Why are so many plugin developers not sending out mails when they have an update available of one of their plugins? An update mail once a month would be the least of service they could provide.

After installing Sonnox EQ 2.7.2 I am finally able to play back my sessions again albeit with -6101 errors every now and then. But at least I can work again. I haven't come up against tracks losing their sound yet but I still have to work intensely with a session. For now I'm glad I can at least play them back again.

I doubt though that the disappearing sound bug is fixed because there's talk about different plugins by different users. So I bet it is something that is wrong with Pro Tools and not with the plugins.

To be continued ...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 PM

You guys should check to make sure that your automation is playing back as well. The automation not playing back bug is, IMHO, quite related to this audio not playing back bug. I have a suspicion that not as many people are noticing it though and, consequently, may be getting inadvertently bitten in the butt by it. The fix is the same, by the way.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM

Hi,

I couldn't get the issue to occur with all plugins removed! i tried hard for about 30 minutes and it ran ok. i know thats not definitive, but might have some bearing.

maybe the extra load the plugins add to the mixer is adding to the issue.

Maybe if anyone else gets the time can run a known session where this happens, with all optional plugins "removed" from the plugins folder. I'll try again when i get time but won't be till mid next week.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com