Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 07:38 AM

Default Mbox distorts my computer monitors, fixable?

I recently bought the Mbox for my Dell computer, and I installed the pro tools software to find

that you cannot use computer monitors, but you need powered speakers, from the moment I installed

the software my computer monitors have been spitting out distortion everytime I try to use them

for personal use, I unplugged the Mbox from my computer and the speakers still cant play music, they

just distort. Has anyone delt with this dilemma or know how to fix something like this?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Mbox distorts my computer monitors, fixable?

Hey,

what type of specs are you running on your computer? It sounds like you are using the manufacturer brand of speakers that came with your computer correct? You might want to consider to upgrade to a pair of refference monitors when you get a chance. Usually you have to set regular computer speakers at really low volumes when recording caus they don't have the drivers that you need to handle a lot of high end audio stuff. You'll probably want a good pair of speakers that have a good woofer and tweeter built in with atleast a 50hz-20kh frequency response. In the mean time, you could try plugging in a pair of headphones to your computer to test your sound card and make sure that your sound card is not having any type of compatibility issues. If you post a few specs about your computer, there are a lot of us on here that can help you out a bit further probably. Goodluck

Charlie
Old 09-22-2004, 12:45 PM

Hey! That happened to me too... I was sure my sound card was broke. So has anyone dealt with this?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
what type of specs are you running on your computer?
if you guys have any details about your computer systems I would be happy to help you out. can't start trouble shooting though til I know what I am working with. lol Post what type of systems you guys are working with and I can see if I can help.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:42 PM

Oh, yeah... that too

PIII 1ghz, 512 ram, WinXP HE, SP1... Standard soundblaster compatible soundcard. Mbox w PTLE 6.4 (but the problem occured when I ran 6.11 too and even 5.x I think).
Old 09-22-2004, 02:38 PM

do you have your speakers connected to a jack on the MBox or to your computer? For recording purposes, try connecting to the 1/8 inch jack on the front of the MBox with your speakers and see if you get the same static. Also what version of the ASIO drivers are you running on your system? What I did when I set up an MBox is went into the Control Panel and just set up my default sound card as the MBox just for audio purposes. You could give that a shot also if you wanted. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:51 AM

Thanks for your response.

I've also set up the Mbox as the default audio device now since I got that problem. So the problem was when I used computer speakers connected to the soundcard that came with the computer. Back then I did not have the Mbox as my default audio device. So the problem only occurs when my other soundcard is involved... As I said I figured it was broke, but since the above guy had a similiar problem that might not be the case. I have the latest ASIO driver. Is it possible that the wavedriver could be in conflict with the drivers my default soundcard use (VIA audio wave according to the control panel)? I'm not at home right now so I can't connect the speakers to the Mbox right now... but I have tried two pair of speakers with the original soundcard so the problem is not the speakers.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:37 AM

yeah, I think you are onto something that it may be a driver conflict with your other sound card on your system. Do you know if there is a recent driver for your sound card on the manufacturers website? In all software and hardware, the challenge is making them all get along and work properly together. Let me know how everything works out hooking up the speakers when you get a chance and about the drivers.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:47 AM

Thank you man, I'll check it out ASAP
Old 09-27-2004, 11:04 AM

Hm... I reinstalled everything on my computer this weekend and did a dual boot. The soundcard works good for playback on both the Pro Tools and the "standard" boot. I run PT 6.4 now. So obviously, the soundcard wasn't broke... Pretty wierd... Well, it works now at least.