Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Default EuControl 3.6 crashing when Artist Mix connects

I can generally get through tech glitches without asking for ideas; this one has me befuddled.

EuControl will launch and appears to work fine. Attach (either by turning on, or plugging in the ethernet cable) my Artist Mix (worked previously fine on this system) and EuControl crashes immediately.

If Artist mix is turned on, EuControl immediately crashes when launched.

After the crash, Artist Mix reboots itself and goes to all AVID across the top.

Launch EuControl, EuControl crashes and Artist mix reboots again.

I've uninstalled EuControl. Iv'e run the cleaneuphonixsystem script from the desktop. I've gone into Library and System>Library as well as User>Library and removed all plist files, and any euphonix file I can find. I've rebooted between installs and even zapped the pram (although I don't think that does much anymore). With any clean install the same problem persists.

Here's where it gets interesting. I have a Mac Mini which is on the same network. On a whim, I installed EuControl on the Mac Mini, and EuControl doesn't crash, it attaches to the Artist Mix just fine, and the all AVID across the top scribble strip changes to fader mode as normal. So the Artist Mix is fine and the firmware is current, and my connection to the network and cables are working.

This is something with EuControl on my main system, a Mac Pro 6 core running macOS Sierra. I use the Artist Mix for mixing in Avid Symphony.

I have tried every combination of uninstall, removal of euphonix files, clean install I can think of. I usually can stumble across a solution. This is my third day of trial and error. I'm stumped.

Every app is current. I've even tried installing an older version of EuControl clean to see if that works. Same problem with older EuControl apps-- I went all the way back to 3.2.1, which I know worked in the past. Same crashing issue on EuControl launch.

My best guess is some rogue app I've installed along the way is causing havoc for EuControl.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 PM

Default Re: EuControl 3.6 crashing when Artist Mix connects

I'm having the same issue, on top of the items the OP listed, I also tried rolling back to 3.5 to no avail.

I have this issue with the Euphonix interfaces on my Macbook Pro (Retina Late 2013) but no issues on my iMac. The control iPad app works on both.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:54 AM
Avid

What exact version of OS are you guys running on each machine (in particular is the crashing system the same OS as the non crashing one) If you can always send in the crash reports when it asks, we get these and log them and they help us fix the issues. One of my main pushes since taking over is to clear up as many EuControl crashes as possible.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:18 AM

I'm using OSX Sierra 10.12.4 on both machines
Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 AM

The crashing OS was OS X Sierra 10.12.2 and after upgrading, 10.12.4.

The non-crashing computer was a Mac Mini running 10.8.4. I did the test on the Mac Mini to verify that the Artist Mix was functioning properly and correctly communicating with the network. This computer has minimal software installed. It's only purpose is to control our home network.

I've submitted multiple crash reports with detailed descriptions of the crash.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 AM

On my second rig I've had the same problem.

First on Mavericks 10.9.5 with PT HD 10.x / PT 11 and now on Sierra 10.12.3 with PT HD 12.7.1 (now with red screen). Mac mini i7 2.66 ghz.

I'm always surprised when the Artist control actually works.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFH View Post
On my second rig I've had the same problem.

First on Mavericks 10.9.5 with PT HD 10.x / PT 11 and now on Sierra 10.12.3 with PT HD 12.7.1 (now with red screen). Mac mini i7 2.66 ghz.

I'm always surprised when the Artist control actually works.
It sounds like your issue is different to the Sierra one. We are fixing lots of EuControl crashes at the moment and will continue until most are gone. Are you on v3.6.0 ?
Old 05-24-2017, 12:14 AM

Well I fixed it. It wasn't pretty, but I did a clean Sierra install and I'm now in the process of re-installing every single piece of software I own.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Avid

What version of Sierra are you on now ?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 AM

Working fine now. I hate re-installing everything, though!