Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2020, 01:44 PM

Default Duplicate Group: Unable to select ID

For my workflow, I like to assign meaningful Track Group letters to Vocals (v), Bass (b), Guitars (g), and so on.

When Duplicating a Track Group, this option suddenly isn't available anymore: Pro Tools selects a fixed letter, and all other choices are made unavailable, as they are greyed out. Note that the Duplicate dialog looks exactly like the Create dialog. In fact, it is a Create dialog with duplicate settings!

Avid support does not appreciate my observation that it is completely illogical not to be able to select a letter of my choice, as is perfectly possible in the regular Create dialog. They say 'there is no preference for this' and 'since it is not mentioned in the manual, this is normal behavior.'
Their final suggestion is to submit this as a Feature Request through Avid Link. Case closed. Well..

Now, to me this is an actual bug in the Create/Modify workflow for Track Groups.

Unfortunately I have not found a way to change the Track Group letter after the fact either. Can it be done?

Anyone else having this actual problem?

P.S. Avid support also asked me to make a video clip of the problem!? No idea what this would add to the very clear screenshot and explanation I had given them in the first place, back on 05/03/2020!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 11.37.31 (2).jpg (62.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2020, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Duplicate Group: Unable to select ID

It does seem strange that they removed the ability to change the letter after creating a group. If I recall correctly, it used to be possible. I guess everyone is following Apple's lead in "improving" things by feature attrition.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-29-2020, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Duplicate Group: Unable to select ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
It does seem strange that they removed the ability to change the letter after creating a group. If I recall correctly, it used to be possible. I guess everyone is following Apple's lead in "improving" things by feature attrition.
Yes, I just tried again and I couldn't change the letter in any way. I hope they don't remove the option to record audio in a future update.