Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2008, 09:51 AM

Default Score Editor

I have some thoughts on the Score Editor that would make it a lot better for my work flow. I usually have to create "one off" charts for instrumentalists for rehearsals. Usually this is just an empty chart, no notes, but showing time signature, tempo, chord changes, and meter changes. I have been doing this with Finale until the Score editor came out. However, my work flow would be better if the Score Editor would include time signature, tempo, and markers. My markers usually have entries like "Intro", "Verse 1", etc.

I guess this is where the Sibelius product comes in, however, I still can't send to Sibelius the items I mentioned above. I have to enter them in Sibelius.

So, why call this feature the Score Editor when it's really the "Regular Notation Midi Editor"? It seems half baked. If Sibelius is part of Avid, why not just throw the Sibelius First product into the Score Editor?

I'd love to hear some positive feedback... cheers, harryk
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 12-24-2008, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Score Editor

I've been loving the 'score editor.' It alone makes the upgrade to PT8 worthwhile. Finale 2009 and Sibelius 5 are both $500. That's right. Five Hundred Friggin' Dollars! The PT8 upgrade was only $150.

I've been trying to get midi-to-notation to work on the cheap for years. Noteworthy Composer is the closest thing I've found and it still leaves MUCH to be desired. The process requires making a GM file and exporting it from PT and then opening it in Noteworthy Composer. It's a pain and it doesn't work well.

This new editor is such a humongous/monumental step forward that I am awed.

I too need to make 'lead sheets' for guys in the band. I've been adding chords on the chord line in the edit window. They translate over into the score editior. I believe if you make temp0 and meter changes on the apporpriate lines that they will transfer too.

The only thing missing is the ability to add 'tick marks' for the lead sheets like one would fine in a Real Book or jazz chart. My work-around (for the 1 week that PT8 has been out) has been to simply play a chord on my midi piano for the duration of the chord.

For example, my band is working on Purple Rain. (I know it's cheesy but we're an 80's cover band.) I added the chord progression in the chord line of the mix window. Bb maj 9, G- sus 4, F maj 9, Eb maj 9. Then I played the chords on the keyboard holding each for four beats. They show up on the score editor as whole notes. The guitarist loves them!

... and that's what I've figured out before I've even read the f----g manual! And it all works inside ProTools.

So, I understand that we all have different needs and that Digi needs feedback for continual improvement. However, I am just blown away with what an amazing first step this editor is. I wasn't expecting anything this nice - especially since we're often so mistreated as LE users!

So add me to the list of people wanting 'tick marks' for lead sheets but please also know that I am most grateful for what they've given us in this first version.