Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Can any one say KRK V4 is match with PT LE , 002

I have a Digi002 with factory bundle. Now I am using Yamaha's NS10 M monitors. I think I have a little trouble in mastering on them, especially low end. I can't hear accurate low end. So I decided to buy a KRK V4 II . Can any one suggest is it ok or not?
Thank you all for reading this post, and plz reply me. I will very happy to read your precious reply.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Can any one say KRK V4 is match with PT LE , 002

Those should give you a bit more information that the NS10s.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:05 PM

This is my opinion only and you should seek others for a better review of the monitors. The Yamaha NS10's are popular due to their ... sound coloration. Over the years people have been listening to music on home stereos and car stereos. These have a certain characteristic that people have become accustomed to and have been viewed at "correct." The Yamaha NS10's are similar speakers to those used in home stereos and car stereos in terms of the sound coloration. Hence, when you mix on these, you will hear pretty close to what the average listener will hear at home or the car. With today's digital technology, music can be captured and played back with much more accurate sources and speakers. As such, the Yamaha NS10's no longer properly translate to the newer playback systems and environments. Advances in acoustic designs for home theaters, home stereos, and even automobiles have made the listening environment far more capable of reproducing audio accurately. The KRK V4's are better monitors in terms or accuracy and will translate into more accurate mixes when played through todays sound systems. I found the KRK's a little hyped in the low end but that is common for R&B and POP music today. The KRK's are good monitors but not necessarily the best. For those you are looking at more money. It is very important to treat your room properly with acoustic materials at the right locations. This will ensure that the acoustics are not impacting your mixes.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Space Cabin Audio

I have used both quite a lot. I think that the V4 is going to be a little decieving because it has such a small driver. I have mixed tv commercials on them and found them to be a litte dull up in the top end. As well, the low end is def. a little wierd.
The V6 on the other hand is a completley different story. They seem to be the most accurate speakers I have used (by accurate I mean mixes translate quite well to other systems) I also found that by adding the RP 10 sub they responded a lot better. KRK states the Response of the V6's to go down to 55hz, but in real world applications I find they only go to about 70-75hz releably. So when you have all that low end in your mix that you can't hear, your speaker is still trying to reproduce them, therefore not using your speaker as effectivly as it could be. With the RP 10's fixed HPF at 80 hz, the V6's sing like crazy and are a lot more defined than you would originally think.
Add to the fact that it seems like the V6's are getting added to more and more studio's around here, I would spend the extra 200 bucks and go for it, and if you have $350, get the sub. You won't look back. I picked up the whole package for about $1300 Canadian. Well worth it.
Remember that room acoustics are equally as important as speakers though, if not more

Kris
May the music move you
Old 02-02-2007, 06:40 PM

If you really want to master, you will need excellent monitors and NS10's and KRK V4's are hardly up to "mastering" quality. I suspect that given this price range of monitor, that you have little or no acoustic treatments in your room. Even the best monitors will be inaccurate in an untreated room(as Kris75 already pointed out). Just another good reason to have mastering done by a real mastering engineer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Can any one say KRK V4 is match with PT LE , 0

Also - mixing and mastering on the same monitors defeats one of the big reasons you master in the first places; to correct for the inaccuracy of your mix monitors and the inadequacy of your studio "control room," or bedroom as it may be!

Don't master stuff yourself.

Cheers
Adam
Old 02-03-2007, 08:05 AM

Firstly, NS10s are used in a lot of studios because they're industry standards.
It's their limitations that make them desirable.
Dissing them for their shortcomings is rather silly.
The thought is that if your mix sounds good on NS10s, it'll sound great on better monitors.
Most people using NS10s for mixing have other sets of monitors as well.
Nobody (to my knowledge) masters with NS10s.
For mixing, a set of monitors below in quality to NS10s (like a bottom tier set of computer speakers), and a set above in quality (like some top of the line Genelecs) is pretty common.
For mastering, it's as much about the room as it is the monitors.

KRK V4s are not very good monitors by any standards, sorry to say.
They really don't serve much purpose for professional mixing OR mastering.
They're OK if you're on a limited budget, and simply need something cheap and easy.
The only V series KRKs that are worth a darn are the V8s.
I have V8s, Genelecs, NS10s, and crappy computer speakers.
I do the biggest part of my mixing on the NS10s and the cheap speakers, referencing often on the bigger boys.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 AM

i have v4, ns10, jbl, minimus 7, sony boombox and apple computer speakers-the bob clearmountain ones.
i love love love my v4's. the originals not the mkII or whatever.
i do 90% of my mixes on the v4's. for me they translate extremely well. i have no problems.

this may not be your answer though. if you are happy with the ns10's, you may want to
think about adding a sub. not sure what kind of music you are doing but if you like the
popular mixes of the chris or tom lord alge, they both mix on ns10's with a cheap infinity sub.

do a google search for ns10 with sub. also check out gearslutz.com and search ns10 subwoofer.
you will find alot of good stuff.

here is one to get you started

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...alge+subwoofer

good luck.

ivan.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Hay All Of You
Very very Thanks for your precious replies.

I bought V4 II cos' of my limited budget. I heard on them compairing with NS10ms and I saw the differences.
1. The Low end of V4 is more accurate
2. The Mid or lo mid may have a little muddy than 10M
3. The Hi is exactly lower than 10m's

But in alternate monitoring , thay will ok for me. The truth which I saw is I can't master on these speakers surely and their output level is not adequate for listen cos' of size. Most of you are right. I'll try to get a cheap sub which will be attached with NS10ms. This will be something amaze. Again Thanks for Replying me.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Hay All Of You
Very very Thanks for your precious replies.

I bought V4 II cos' of my limited budget. I heard on them compairing with NS10ms and I saw the differences.
1. The Low end of V4 is more accurate
2. The Mid or lo mid may have a little muddy than 10M
3. The Hi is exactly lower than 10m's

But in alternate monitoring , thay will ok for me. The truth which I saw is I can't master on these speakers surely. Most of you are right. I'll try to get a cheap sub which will be attached with NS10ms. This will be something amaze. Again Thanks for Replying me.