Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2010, 04:43 AM

Default 64 bit compatibility

Hi, I know this issue has been discussed on many threads before, but there's lots of misguided information on most of them, so here's my problem and I hope someone can help me get an straight answer:
I write mostly experimental electronic music (mix and mastering) for film and tv, I use a huge amount of libraries (NI, Spectrasonics...) and it's almost impossible to me to have a good sounding complete set of instruments uploaded with only 4GB of RAM, for example, if I use a bass from Trilian, a Piano from NI and another good sound from Omnisphere I'll probably use up the 3,? GB I have available, and this is not to mention a good rhythmic set and other things.
So, I've already bought Win 7 and I'm waiting to install it because I can't work without my system, and I would like some serious opinions or if someone knows if there's gonna be (anytime soon) a PT compatible with a 64bit system. I'm not talking about a full 64bit DAW, I would be happy just running what I have now in a 64 bit environment without having to save my work every second being afraid it will crash at any moment. I'm considering moving to other DAW but I really like PT, I've work with it for some years now, and invested some money on RTAS plug-ins, I would really prefer to keep my system!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Default Re: 64 bit compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgb View Post
Hi, I know this issue has been discussed on many threads before, but there's lots of misguided information on most of them, so here's my problem and I hope someone can help me get an straight answer:
I write mostly experimental electronic music (mix and mastering) for film and tv, I use a huge amount of libraries (NI, Spectrasonics...) and it's almost impossible to me to have a good sounding complete set of instruments uploaded with only 4GB of RAM, for example, if I use a bass from Trilian, a Piano from NI and another good sound from Omnisphere I'll probably use up the 3,? GB I have available, and this is not to mention a good rhythmic set and other things.
So, I've already bought Win 7 and I'm waiting to install it because I can't work without my system, and I would like some serious opinions or if someone knows if there's gonna be (anytime soon) a PT compatible with a 64bit system. I'm not talking about a full 64bit DAW, I would be happy just running what I have now in a 64 bit environment without having to save my work every second being afraid it will crash at any moment. I'm considering moving to other DAW but I really like PT, I've work with it for some years now, and invested some money on RTAS plug-ins, I would really prefer to keep my system!
Well Digi has a prerelease beta out for Win7 and that means they are currently working on it. I didn't time the Snow Leopard compatibility beta but think it took around 90 days. I don't speak for Digi obviously but I would think that it will be sooner than later. Whether this is being rolled into future update or will be a .dot compatibility release is anyones guess.

If you haven't done the /3GB switch you might try that as a lot of users reported gaing 1+ GB of memory space for PT and its processes.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Thanks, I thought about participating in the beta test, but at this moment I don't have the time to do it right, got to try to get all work opportunities!
Already done the switch, thanks (saw it here in the DUC)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
If you haven't done the /3GB switch you might try that as a lot of users reported gaing 1+ GB of memory space for PT and its processes.
- could you point me in the right direction so I can read up on this ?

Not sure what you mean.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
- could you point me in the right direction so I can read up on this ?

Not sure what you mean.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx

So it first here in DUC but here is the link to microsoft page on how to do it
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgb View Post
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx

So it first here in DUC but here is the link to microsoft page on how to do it
Thanks for this....

So, if you've got 4Gb RAM, would there be any reason not to use this?

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this....

So, if you've got 4Gb RAM, would there be any reason not to use this?

The only reason not to would be if you had a video card with a lot of onboard memory (512-1GB) since windows feeds this with a matching frame buffer. You can still do it but may need to adjust the "split point" using the USERVA option. Try it the regular way first.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-04-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
The only reason not to would be if you had a video card with a lot of onboard memory (512-1GB) since windows feeds this with a matching frame buffer. You can still do it but may need to adjust the "split point" using the USERVA option. Try it the regular way first.
hmmm.... now it's getting interesting for me.....

I have an Nvidia GTX295 with ~1700Mb RAM onboard.

Which way would you suggest I should go?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM

I use the /3gb switch on the XP rig and recommend it. Just be sure to keep the original boot line in the boot.ini file along with the new one so you can get back into the OS if something goes bad.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
hmmm.... now it's getting interesting for me.....

I have an Nvidia GTX295 with ~1700Mb RAM onboard.

Which way would you suggest I should go?

Thats probably too much video card RAM to be very effective with the 3GB switch.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page