Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Question Optical cable from my Mac Pro into my 192 I/O

Hey all!

I want to connect my Mac Pro Optical Output into the 192 I/O. Got the two 5m cables today in the post. Hooked them up. Read the 192 I/O manual, did all what they said but still no joy!!!

I went to the Audio /MIDI setup on the Mac Pro, clicked on the Audio Output as the Optical digital Output setting with 48kHz and 96kHz. Got some audio playing on the Mac Pro (def. works on normal built in o/p) and tried to listen for in coming through on the 192 I/O with no success. Created a new ProTools session with the same sample rates and bit depths etc. 1 Stereo Track.

What am I doing wrong? Tried to connect the Optical cable 'IN' for the Optical[Encl] and the ADAT but both were not happening. What should my sync settings be etc... Exte? Internal? Word Clock?

Can anyone help? Managed this years ago from the G5 into the 192 I/O with no problems. Are there issues with the length of cable? I hope not.

Ta.

Phill
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Optical cable from my Mac Pro into my 192 I/O

Check the digital input in the Pro Tools Hardware setup. It's a radial button with three possibilities (AES / SPIDIF / Optical Toslink). I believe you want the last one. Then go to the I/O setup and make sure you have an input that says [ENC]. I use input 15-16 for this. Then make sure you have an aux in your session from this input to your speakers. I'm not in front of my system right now, but it works great for me.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:34 PM

Unless he's already using AES or spdif digital, in which case he'll need to decide who wins.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:37 AM

Question Re: Optical cable from my Mac Pro into my 192 I/O

Not wanting to hijack the thread at all, but can you use the Mac Pro internal Optical/Digital out (as a soundcard) then pumped into the Digi 96io as a sound source? (to speakers)

Sorry for being slow here but never thought of that!

So you could use Ableton / Logic on the internal soundcard in the Mac and then pipe through into the Digi 96io which is used for Protools??

Can this work for Ableton/Logic playing a simple stereo monitoring through Digital (or is it ADAT?) as well as piping 8 tracks down the opitcal cable into the 96/Protools??

Is the internal Mac soundcard good enough via Digital??
Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
Not wanting to hijack the thread at all, but can you use the Mac Pro internal Optical/Digital out (as a soundcard) then pumped into the Digi 96io as a sound source? (to speakers)

Sorry for being slow here but never thought of that!

So you could use Ableton / Logic on the internal soundcard in the Mac and then pipe through into the Digi 96io which is used for Protools??

Can this work for Ableton/Logic playing a simple stereo monitoring through Digital (or is it ADAT?) as well as piping 8 tracks down the opitcal cable into the 96/Protools??

Is the internal Mac soundcard good enough via Digital??
Yes, lots of us doing that for coreaudio apps: itunes etc etc

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 AM

Cool brilliant, but its only 2 track SPDIF stereo and not ADAT (as it looks like an ADAT style cable)?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
Cool brilliant, but its only 2 track SPDIF stereo and not ADAT (as it looks like an ADAT style cable)?
Yes is spdif stereo optical. so the settings in PT hardware setup has to be set to spdif not adat.

The new Macpro under Leopard seem to have a fairly complex setup for the i/o ! i can only get either digital or analog but not both? under Tiger G5 i could get both!! really useful.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.