Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Fades prefs vs. Batch Fades (or beating a dead horse)

Help me to understand. Why is there a Fades preferences section in the main PT Preferences AND a Batch Fades dialog that seems to trump the user's set fades preferences?

So for example, I set up my Fades prefs to "scoop" fade in, "scoop" fade out (both equal gain) and I set my X-fade to equal power. Right? Next, I make a few splices in a region, select across them all, and press F. Great! Just as planned. However, if along the way, I make any changes to any fade in the Batch fades window, then from that point on my batch fades "stick" to that change rather than sticking with my preferences. What gives? Am I doing it wrong?

To make matters worse, the Batch Fades dialog has less flexibility than the Fades preferences. My preferred routine, as described above with scoop in, equal power x-fade, scoop out is not possible in Batch Fades. The best I can do is "un-link" the fades and then I can get my scoop in/ out, but then x-fades are un-linked and not equal power anymore.

As an editor, this drives me batty. I like having the ability to make fade shape adjustments on-the-fly using the Fades dialog, but shouldn't batch fades then revert to the user's preferences?!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Fades prefs vs. Batch Fades (or beating a dead horse)

they are totally different tasks- batch fades would allow you to set up 10ms fades for heads and tails of regions for instance- the fade prefs come into play if you are using the focus key fade in/out or any fade operations where the fade type is not defined per fade.

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Fades prefs vs. Batch Fades (or beating a dead horse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynes View Post
they are totally different tasks- batch fades would allow you to set up 10ms fades for heads and tails of regions for instance- the fade prefs come into play if you are using the focus key fade in/out or any fade operations where the fade type is not defined per fade.
Right. I use "F" in Command Focus mode for batch fades as well as individual x-fades. For individual in/out fades I use "D" and "G". I use Cmd+F to make tweaks to batch or individuals.

The issue I run into is that the Batch Fades dialog negates the Fades Prefs. Everything works as planned until I make one tweak in the Batch Fades dialog, from which point on my prefs are ignored when making batch fades and it's impossible to set equal gain in/outs combined with equal power x-fades which is a fairly common editing preference.

I would prefer it if all of the fades prefs were located in one place, including batch fades length (in frames not ms, by the way!). For tweaks you could still use Cmd+F which brings up the other Fades dialog, and then it would revert to the user's preferences for subsequent fades.

EDIT: Just to clarify...What I mean is that Batch Fades follows the user's fades prefs until the user makes a change in the Batch Fades dialog. After that, Batch Fades will follow the user's "last used" setting in the Batch dialog. This is bad because the Batch Fades dialog does not allow mixed equal gain in/outs and equal power x-fades which is very common.