Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 05:04 PM

Default Studio layout with Control 24

Is there anyone using their Pro Tools TDM machine as their main studio computer? If so, how do you have it set up in relation to the Control 24?

I have my Mac on my desk, with a 49-key controller in front of the LCD panel for composing. To my left is the Control 24 and my main monitors. The problem is that I don't use the control 24 nearly as often as I'd like to, since it is not in my field of view.

I suppose I could spend $1100 and buy one of those custom argosy or sound anchors desks. But that would force me to put the LCD panel and keyboard in such a way that I wouldn't be able to comfortably use the computer for anything else - sound effects editing, office work, etc.

Best regards,
Jamie
Old 11-12-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Studio layout with Control 24

I have it laid out witha 20' cin. display right behind C24 w/ speakers on either side of it. Then I have a controller keyboard on wheels and put it right in front of the C24 when in use- roll it away when mixing. You can also put the C24 on 3/4" boards and the computer keyboard can slide under it a bit if the desk is big enough.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info. You don't find the LCD display is too far away? Also, how do you have the LCD display, and the keyboard and mouse mounted?

The C24 is 27" deep, which is already deep as most desks go. Then the back of it is 12" high. Consequently, it doesn't fit on prefab office furniture with a riser shelf. And it takes up an entire regular desk in depth, so there's no room to build a custom shelf behind it. I've looked in Ikea, Staples, and Office Max so far, but nothing seems to work. None of the Quiklok "workstation" or keyboard stand pieces fit it either, and an E-mail to sales went unanswered. After spending a lot of time with me on the phone and a bunch of spec books, my Sweetwater rep also came up empty. None of the furniture they sell fits the Control 24. Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:21 PM

Have you considered an adjustable LCD monitor arm? I use a 20" Cinema on top of the C24, and altough I don't mind the distance, the strain on the neck after looking slightly upwards for 8-12 hours is...well..painful. I just took delivery of a Ergotron adjustable monitor arm and a VESA adapter for the cinema display. Haven't got it up yet (you need a degree in rocket science to assemble these things), but it looks very promising.

The also have shelves for keyboards etc. www.ergotron.com.

Stein Tore
Old 11-14-2003, 12:41 AM

I have the monitor on the side on a speaker stand.
The Keyboard will eventually go on a slide tray under the C24, although they have had no stock for a month...
So at the moment its on the side too.

If I put the LCD inbetween the Speakers I would loose my line of sight to the bands. So what would be the use of the control room window?
See pics Indents Web
I found the monitor was to far back when I had it behind the meter bridge. I looked at the monitor arm things although I moved it to teh right when i reset up the room recently. All seems well.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:01 PM

Davemc, your studio looks great. Good luck with it.

Stein, I saw those ergotron arms when I was at AES last month in New York. Everyone was looking at all the latest gear and SSL consoles, and here goes me running around looking for Control 24s to ogle the furniture. I had a life, once... But yeah, the arms look like a good way to relieve neck strain.

I saw some pictures of a school that installed Control 24s in their classrooms. They put the keyboard and mouse *over* the meters and transport display on each one. It was horrifying.

I think I'm going to eventually have to bite the bullet and dedicate the Mac to Pro Tools. Then I won't mind so much if the display is several feet away, and I can use the Control 24 more often. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:38 AM

To help with neck strain, I built a stand for the display so the lowest pixels is just above the meters. I thought it would be cool if there was a control surface with a built in dispolay right at eye leve.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I thought it would be cool if there was a control surface with a built in dispolay right at eye leve.
Imagine a Control24 with a 15" or 17" integrated LCD, Keyboard, Trackball, Surround Panner and expandable in 8-ch. modules...."where do I sign the check?".

OK, I know I just descibed the ProControl minus the LCD, but it's sooooo expensive.

Stein Tore