Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-20-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Importing video and sound design in LE...

im working on a small independent film with a friend of mine. I'm starting to think about post production. My friend is working on Final Cut pro and we'll be doing the sound design in Pro Tools LE 6 over here. I was wondering, is a .mov file the only file type I can import? Also, can I only export quicktime movies? What if I want to put it on DVD? I'm new to this whole thing so I was just wondering what the process is of people doing sound design in LE. Also, I won't be getting the DV plugin in cause a grand is waaaay too much for me to throw down right now.

thanks,
matt
Old 07-20-2004, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Importing video and sound design in LE...

I do a fair amount of post with LE. Yes, you can only use Quicktime Movies both in and out of Pro Tools. I would suggest having your friend output a low-res QT movie to work with in Pro Tools, usually 320x240. That way your audio resoursces aren't used up with a huge movie file. Then when your audio is complete, bounce to disk your stereo mix and import it into FCP to sync up with the high-res movie. Burn your DVD from that. Look into using a 2-pop and a window burn of Timecode if possible, It will make realiging the audio easier. Hope this helps.

M. Bobb
6.1/6.4
Powerbook G4
G5 Dual 2.0
Old 07-21-2004, 04:14 AM

I also work in Sound design and mixing for post production and I've always worked with (Full) DV-Pal/720x576 files without any trouble. In fact, I'm pretty sure that size doesn't make a huge difference (no sexual pound intended...). Also, compressing the video file with any kind of codec (Mpeg1 being the worse) will not give better results... Just the opposite. I've worked on one hour projects (movies), short movies, commercials and have always experienced better performances with DV-PAL (uncompressed) 720x576 files.
The good thing with those settings is that they are the ones required in PT if you wish to use the (very usefull) "Play DV Movie out Firewire Port" option. You don't need the Big$$$ DV Toolkit option in order to do that.
Then, if you have a cam. or a transcoder (Firewire->DV), you'll be able to display the movie on a TV Set or any kind of monitor while making it easier on the CPU. Any other settings won't work with that option.

Once you're finished and wish to put the result on a DVD, there are to ways to proceed:
-Bounce to movie in PT->Result in a .mov file that you can put in QT Pro (buy it if necessary) and export as Mpeg2 (video will end up in .m2v file and audio in a 48KHz/16bit AIFF/Wav file; audio can also be compressed using AC3).
-Bounce audio only (in PT). Import the resulting mix in Final Cut and follow the same process described above (export in Mpeg2).

If you want your DVD to be "viewable" on any kind of players (computers, "home desk", don't know if those terms are correct) you'll need to use an application that will create VideoTS and Audio TS files. I'm personnaly using DVD Studio Pro but it's pretty expensive and I'm sure you'll be able to find freeware (or non-expensive apps) capable of doing that (DVD2One, DVD Remaster...). Once those files are created you can use the same application to burn the CD (DVD SP does that for example) or, if the application doesn't provide a "Burn" option, just drag and drop the TS files into Toast 6 (choose DVD option) and burn. Works for me.
Hope that helped.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:44 PM

thanks very much for the replies. I especially like that play video through firewire feature. It'll be very useful for ADR. By any chance, would you know how to burn the timecode in the video in FCP?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 AM

Reading my previous post, I completely forgot that you guys (americans or Australians) are working with NTSC... I guess PT also enables the Firewire-DV option when NTSC is being used (otherwise it would be very silly)...
As far as burning the TC is concerned, I don't do that but if my memory's correct (not sure the words will be right since I have a french version), I think it's in menu: Effects->Video Filter->Video->Display TC. If you want to "burn it" (export it along with the movie) I guess you'll have to render it just like any other video filter.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:45 AM

i love it when a plan comes together.

I'm just vouching for Mr T here........

firewire out is the way to go and rendering the BITC would work-

is it necessary though?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:45 AM

I've heard this one before!... (-;

As far as burning TC's concerned I've never found it necessary... Some say it helps in making sure you haven't lost frames in the process. I've personnaly never had any problem of that kind. Once the movie has been exported from FCP (or Imovie), I work with the resulting file in PT and, when I'm finished, send back the file to the post house (so that they can put that mix on a digital beta) and I've never experienced any de-sync problem.
On the other hand, burning TC can be useful if you want to have the TC displayed in PT(I personnaly don't care, msec is good enough for me) and don't own the $$$ DVToolkit option.