Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-12-2020, 01:09 PM

Default AVID CARBON - the $3999 Eleven Rack replacement

I kid. It does WAY WAY more than the 11R ever did.
But wow $4K - that's a big nope.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:34 PM

Default Re: AVID CARBON - the $3999 Eleven Rack replacement

Ha... finally we get multi-amp sim in a box.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:13 PM

I'd like to see a non-DSP version for $1K

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'd like to see a non-DSP version for $1K
I’d love to see a trimmed back version, with DSP similar to how UA has the Apollo Solo. A Carbon desktop with two inst/mic/line inputs, main out, DSP and TB for 1K would hit the sweet spot for me.

System Details
Old 11-13-2020, 03:17 AM

... same thinking fleshed-out a bit! :)

With the challenges of maintaining a balance for PT between low-budget 'home studio' types right up to pro facilities, looks like an opportunity for Avid to innovate for the lowly guys also. Surely, done right, new 'low-end' interfaces with (optional?) DSP could revive growth in this sector ... I'm guessing?!

I've just renewed my yearly update plan after waiting to see if the livestream affected my $199 'renewal decision' versus the usual suspects, such as a one-off Logic cost (I also use Final Cut BTW).

With a new perpetual licence now priced at $599 and the subscription option (with some extra features) at $299 p.a., we're all now used to the SaaS model skewing towards subscriptions, and understand that in the case of PT, many pro users had previously been inclined to not upgrade for years once they had a stable rig.

Yet now, if one ignores the perceived value of a previous 'investment' in a perpetual licence and simply looks forward, occasional non-pro users would realistically benefit from dropping the perpetual/update plan altogether and simply pay for a monthly subscription when required, maybe alongside e.g. Logic ... which would lose Avid those revenues.

So, how to retain/build on those legacy perpetual customers who bought in thinking they could upgrade occasionally, and also subsequently had the reinstatement option also withdrawn, when there are so many other choices.

A <$1k version of Carbon with just a couple of mic/line/pres to compete with Apogee Duet-class interfaces (which AVID OEM'd in their previous effort in this market) or $1k+ (not much more - too optimistic?) DSP version to challenge UA Apollo Twin, etc. with enough horsepower for typical home studio tracking could revolutionise PT's footprint in this sector, driving development/sales of AAX DSP (making a compelling case away from UA), as well as new recurring PT revenues.

To really kickstart this approach, Avid could include 1 year PT subscription (or update plan credit) for new customers + incentivise existing users to remain in the ecosystem every time they question their platform choice or fancy an interface upgrade.

I'll take mine in 1U to sit atop my ER, with AES digital out for my RM1s please ... although more likely to arrive in a desktop form factor I imagine (also portable complementary option for Carbon-toting pros).
Old 11-13-2020, 06:30 AM

Regardless of price, I would have serious concerns about Avid's ability (or intent) to provide long-term driver support. For example, the Elevenrack was sold as new until June of 2019 but Avid has chosen not to provide drivers for Catalina (released a short number of months later in Fall 2019). Conversely, I have a MOTU interface from 2012 that is still being supported and works famously under Catalina.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
I’d love to see a trimmed back version, with DSP similar to how UA has the Apollo Solo. A Carbon desktop with two inst/mic/line inputs, main out, DSP and TB for 1K would hit the sweet spot for me.
Yeah! I was thinking the same thing - for ~$2k I'd be tempted..