Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Default Remote controls, are they a good idea?

I am considering buying a wireless mouse and keyboard since, as many of you know, trying to be a musician/vocalist and producer without a second set of hands is nearly impossible! I would like to hear from anyone who has made the move to wireless as to any problems encountered. Most important. Will the software for these wireless components interfere in any way with Pro Tools? I'm running PT's 9 on Win 7, 32 bit. Thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Remote controls, are they a good idea?

I don't use wireless here, but I DO often need to control from another spot in my studio. There are a few ways to do it, such as with an iPad(Nyrinck V-Control) and such, but here's what works a treat for me. May main desk uses a USB mouse and keyboard. I have a mini-keyboard with trackpad that has PS2 connections(I know you also run a PC) and those can be extended. So, I have 25' PS2 cables in a harness, along with a 25' HDMI cable. Then I have one of those On-Stage rolling stands with a shelf that holds the keyboard and a monitor. Using a cheap($36) HDMI splitter that feeds my main screen(running 1080P) I also feed the 24" 1080P monitor on the cart. This allows me to run the session from the remote cart, which can reach into my vocal booth, or into my drum room(parked by the drum throne). Total costs; HDMI splitter-$36, 25' HDMI cable-$40(internet), 24" 1080P TV-$129, rolling stand-$79. Not too expensive and works very nicely

BTW, I pulled the cables thru the same black mesh cable wrap that guitar players often use for pedalboard snakes).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-11-2014, 10:48 AM

sounds like Dave has a nice system, same could be done with a USB extender cable like this http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...r-cable/1.html I'd probably put a powered hub on the end just in case

there are (or was) some other phone/tablet apps that had do basic Midi over Ethernet HUI controls

some people use wireless no problem, some have all kinds of command interrupt problems

then there is the potential problems with pickups and condenser mics (I would say old mics but had a Blue Bottle mic come in once that pickup up Disney AM radio)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-11-2014, 04:07 PM

When I do drums, I just put my PC's wireless keyboard on a music stand next to my hi-hat. I'm only using it for Start/Stop, but it might be useful for some others...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I am considering buying a wireless mouse and keyboard since, as many of you know, trying to be a musician/vocalist and producer without a second set of hands is nearly impossible! I would like to hear from anyone who has made the move to wireless as to any problems encountered. Most important. Will the software for these wireless components interfere in any way with Pro Tools? I'm running PT's 9 on Win 7, 32 bit. Thanks
In my case, I use my android tablet as remote control for pro tools. all you need is wifi on the tablet, wired/wireless connection on the workstation cpu & vnc. I'm using mac pro so I went into system settings & enabled screen sharing. I have no issues nor complaints so far.

MacPro2,1 2x Intel Xeon 3GHz Quad Core, 32GB ram, 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD 5770, OSX 10.7.5 (Pro Tools 9.0.6 HD3), 192 Digital, 96 i/o, 96i, sync i/o, midi i/o, BBE 442A, ART Pro MPA II (GE tube mod), Behringer Virtualizer Pro, DigiDesign ProControl, Pro Control Fader Pack, Alesis QS6.1