Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-02-2002, 05:25 PM

Default XP Pro Clean Install Questions-HELP NEEDED ASAP PLEASE

I've got everything in front of me and I'm ready to go. Holy sh**.

A couple of last minute questions.

Do I need to uninstall the PCI card and remove it from the tower?

Should I reformat the drive before I start the XP CD or will there be an option to do this as I'm installing XP?

What do I need to do to Deauthorize PT and Dverb?

Is there any need to uninstall PT if I'm about to wipe the drive clean?

Can I (should I) "trick" XP to FAT32 my large drives so that I don't have to partition?

Any last minute tips?

Yes I have a Ghost copy of everything!

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks for any help,
Scott
Old 11-02-2002, 05:36 PM

Default Re: XP Pro Clean Install Questions-HELP NEEDED ASAP PLEASE

you don't need to uninstall all PCI card as XP will setup automatically. (but not your 001, you got to pull it out first)

you will get an optino to formail your drive after run up the XP CD

you just need the PT COde come with your 001 to run your PT LE 5.3.1 in XP. Dverb doesn't need to authorize.

you can intsall XP on the other drive to make your system have 2 or more OS, you will get the optino when you install XP, and you will get a select menu when you boot up your system later- on

Hope these help, trynig my best with my english,...

good luck!
Old 11-02-2002, 06:10 PM

If you have one harddrive only, then make sure you backup everything. I backup everything to a format disc, which becomes very useful. On my format disc, I usually have things like free software (media player, winamp, updated drivers) and other things like pluginn settings, preference files or templates (Pro Tools IO templates, session templates) as well as any audio file backups (soundreplacer samples). Anyway, make sure that you backup everything. If you have a system drive and an audio drive, making a 'format disc' may not be nesesary. I actually have a 'format disc' folder on my audio drive and update it regularly. Then I FORMAT my system drive ans put windows on clean. If you have only 1 harddrive then make sure EVERYTHING is on CD's.
There is no need to remove any PCI cards, just have all of your drivers handy. Setup will find new hardware DURING setup, so just point it to the digi driver. Do this for every extra hardware you have that XP doesn't automatically install.

Before you format your drive, it's a very good time to experiment with optimizations or beta software/drivers. Maybe even plugin demoes, and things that are hard to get rid of once on your computer. Try three or four mp3 making programs, then choose one and install that one after you reformat. You can also move your PCI cards around to get your hardware to the IRQ you want. Do some research and find out what IRQ's are shared and if they're with the digi hardware. Certain IRQ's get attention first, and if you're digi card is sharing with say a graphics card then it might slow Pro tools down a little. Let's face it, with computers we are always wanting to check this program out, or use this program for this new thing you wanna do but then realize that it's kinda dumb. Or what about games? Computers get messy, then don't run so well. When I'm about a week or two from wanting to reformat my system, I start experimenting and determine whether or not to 'update' my system with certain software. Anyway, there's some pointers. Become familiar with reformatting your system and after a few times it will take you about an hour or 90 minutes to do so. If you take this 90 minutes every couple of months you will hardly EVER have problems with your system, as it will basically be brand new all the time. Just hope that hardware doesn't take a dive!! I've never had a problem with hardware though. Anyway, good luck!
Old 11-03-2002, 07:20 AM

Anybody else want to jump in here? I know that a ton of you guys have already done this and your knowledge would be a great help! I was going to do it last night, but I waited until today hoping for more info.

Thanks to Mike and King Kong for responding. Good advise from both. And King Kong, your english is fine. I understood everything.

Scott
Old 11-03-2002, 07:43 AM

here's what i do.

1) put the bootable windows xp cd in the cd tray.

2) restart the computer and follow the onscreen installation instructions.

3) wait

4) install PTLE

5) get to it.

it's that simple!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:52 PM

Upgrade is now complete! It seems as though everything is working properly. I hope that it holds up.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to complete my project now.

Scott [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]